Existing Member?

USA

Driving, casinos, and Highway Patrol

USA | Tuesday, 21 June 2011 | Views [264]

*Tik tok tune* Wake up in the morning, ready for some driving. Put the keys in the ignition gonna hit the I-80, when we leave, hit the road, at 75mph, when we leave for the day we aint comin' back.

So I shall stop singing Ke$ha, it's not even out theme song for the trip. (Which is Road Trippin' by RHCP btw) Anyways, woke up early to hit the road and drive to Wendover, Nevada. We've decided to head east as quickly as we can, so we can spend time in places like Chicago, Niagra Falls and of course NY!! The drive was good, some really beautiful scenery, snow capped mountains, normal mountains and valleys. Drove past many signs about snow tires and chains, thankfully we are not drivign in winter! K & J are driving, while I get to nap, chill and navigate. Reached Wendover, or West Wendover at least, and now we are one hour ahead of CA. It's a pretty interesting little place, it has 4 casino/hotels, fast food joints, servos and our RV park, everything we need really.

 

Got in and set up. Decided to go to one of the palces for dinner, K saw a steakhouse sign and we were going to go there. Had a few drinks before, and some kid from another RV came up and talked to us which was random, yet funny. We walked to the places and it was 10pm already, it getting dark so late is still catching us out. Unfortuantely it, and the other eating places we closed, so we had to settle for Burger King. So disgusting, amusingly though, they had what soft drinks went well with their meals and what each one tasted like. Back to the casinos, the Peppermill. It was nothing great, seemed like it was mostly old people. It had lots of fluoro lights and you could smoke in them, and still was interesting. Didnt have a bet, saving that for Vegas, but had a go at the pokies. Put in a $1 bill. James decided the respectable amount we could cash out at was $20. I had a pretty good run, I'd lose a few then win some and this lasted for about 20 minutes, where as J & K went bust pretty quickly. I got up to $17, but eventually went bust as well. We went back to Betsy (the RV), we have another long drive tomorrow, to Cheyenne Wyoming.

20/6

Left early again, 8am. I was driving first, and off we went. Pretty easy drive I essentially drove in a straight line for an hour. We drove straight through Utah, a lot of Salt Lakes and otehr nice scenery. The mountains here are different to those in Nevada, more like rocky tabletops. I was driving through Salt Lake City, and I got pulled over by the Utah Highway PAtrol. I merged without indicating, and apparently I veered into another lane. I knew he was following me for a while, and when he flashed his lights to pull me over I was a little nervous, I do not want a fine! After getting all the paperwork and my licence from various parts of the RV to show him, he took me to his squad car and told me to sit in it! (Just the front seat though!) He was a nice guy and seemed very reasonable, had a chat about what we had planned etc while he was checking everything, and he kindly let me off with a warning. Phew. Off I went again, indicating at every merging point. I'm kind of happy it happened, I wanted  to be pulled over at some stage, as long as I didnt get fined.

Stopped off for petrol soon after we crossed to border to Wyoming. Drove some more, more beautiful scenery all while K & J were napping. I ended up driving for 5 hours, unti K took over. Pretty decent effort I thought! HAd a nao out the back, we prob still have another 3 odd hours to go until we reach Cheyenne. I guess it may sound tedious, but I really am enojying driving. I love driving and roadtripping across the USA seems to be rahter awesome.

Arrived at the RV park safe and sound, without being pulled over :P We made plans for the timeline until we get to NY. doing a massive drive tomorrow to Des Moines, then we should arrive in Chicago the day after. 2 days in the Windy city, then up to Niagra Falls then down to NY. Sounds pretty awesome!

Anyways, Im off, everyone is having fun in Perth and wherever else you are!!

 

About pleasurespikedwithpain


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.