Existing Member?

USA

The windy city

USA | Friday, 24 June 2011 | Views [207]

Hello. So, just got back from the city, now chilling in our RV. We got here via Des Moines and it was a pretty uneventful drive here.

So we got in to our RV park, and decided that if we could find cheap accommodation, we would spend the night in the actual city so we could go out and not have to worry about coming back to Betsy. Cheap accommodation was found, after the very friendly KOA lady lent us her mobile coz ours had not reception, I gave her a Koala to say thanks, so off we went. Caught a train into the city, Im pretty sure it was the same train that was in the movie The Source Code, I almost felt like I was Jake Gyllenhal :P

Went to our accommodation first to drop off our bag, its a pretty nice little hostel with free brekky, and still in the city so and the rooms were clean, so we got pretty lucky especially as we booked it the same day haha. On the taxi ride there, it actually felt like a city which LA didn't, but with skyscrapers, etc , and I loved the feeling. When we checked in asked the guy if he reccomended any bars, and he told us about this little jazz club, close by, called Lillys. It had on special $5 Long Island Ice Teas, that had 10 shots in them, and $2 pints of beer. It was a pretty awesome little place. Only had 2 LIITs coz they were strong and I was going to get very drunk if I stuck to them. Unfortunately those 2 were enough to get me rather happy. After chilling in our booth for a while, started talking to people, firstly this guy named Kevin, who introduced us to his friends, and then we got speaking to some Irish girls and eventually we were tlaking to most people there. Like I said, it was a small place. Had an awesome time there, and had to help the very drunk Kyle back to our hostel.

James was getting lucky with one of the irish girls, but I was so drunk, and I am in no ways proud of this, and have apologised to James a million times today, but me being drunk and tired, went in ignoring the sock on the door, and James asking me to 'wait outside' and passed out. This was enough for the Irish girl to leave and James not to get lucky. Even though they could have continued and I would have had no idea. James, I am sorry, possibly the worst thing I could have done! Anyways, Kyle ended up throwing up on the floor of the room, even though we put the bin there for him to, and he eventually used that. He cleaned it up in the morning though. Sorry hostel cleaners. Anyways, with a bit of a hangover, me n J went and got our free Brekky, which was good considering it was free. Went back, woke Kyle up and went and did some sightseeing. Did a bit of street wondering, not too much though K was feeling rather bad. We went up to the Willis tower, which is the 5th largest building in the world, and the tallest in the USA. 1400 feet tall. was really amazing being up so high. Walked around a bit, I wanted to go to the pier but J n K didnt feel up for it. Instead we went to Ginos East, which is on Man Vs Food. Had their deep dish pizza. You could write on the wall, which I did, though just in a pen so you cant really see it, but my name is there :D Got the deep dish pizza, the waiter who was awesome, infact the service here is amazing everyone in the USA is so friendly, I guess they have to work for their tips, but still, so friendly and helpful. Anyways, Jon, the waiter, said 2 slices would be enough. We still got a large, which has 8 slices and figured wed take them back and eat later. 2 slices was enough. This pizza was BIG, and deep haha. So much cheese, was prob really unhealthy, but it tasted awesome!! Anyways, got the rest to take away, just fits in our fridge!!

After that we went back to the train station, its a 1 and a half hour trip back on the train, and Kyle looked like he was about the die. Although we didnt spend that long in Chicago, I loved it, prob my favourite city so far. I just really enjoyed the feel of the city and the surroundings.

Anyways, off to Niagra Falls tomorrow, cant get any reception, so going to have to call ahead and book a place for our RV and hope they have spaces.

:)

About pleasurespikedwithpain


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.