Existing Member?

USA

Driving....

USA | Sunday, 19 June 2011 | Views [218]

16/6

So today we started driving, we left a bit later than I thought we we should have, but o well. The rental place was pretty far away, another $90 taxi ride away, in saying that taxis are cheaper here, and it was a bit far away!! Had a bit of a wait at the rental place, waiting to be served then filling out all the paperwork and being shown the RV etc, prob took us about an hour or so in total.

I was driving first, and thorugh the city as well, this thing is quite large 12 ft high and 18 ft long, which means turning wider than usual. Got used to being on the wrong side of the road and everything else in the car fairly quickly, but Im sure Ill get caught out at some stage. Stopped off at the shops, Albertsons, to get soem supplies, things are so cheap here! Setting off again and onto a major highway, the 405. 5 lanes wide, pretty insane, it was rush hour as well, I shall never complain about Perth traffic again! Merging is pretty crazy pretty much you indicate and go. It was pretty intense, so many cars and the RV took up most of the lane, so very little room for error. The GPS they gave us is shit, doesnt give very good or clear instructions, but we would be pretty lost without it, literally haha. There's been some very pretty views so far, would've been better if it wasnt overcast or drizziling, hello California summer!

Changed drivers, now Kyle is driving and James is navigating haha. I prob drover 2-3 hours. Im now just chilling in the back. Heading towards a RV campingvan site, havent made a booking so hopefully we get a place. Just to give you an idea of how insane our GPS AKA Caroline is, while dirving straight on a straight road, it told us to continue driving straight in 400 yards, well thanks Caroline I was planning on doing donuts. This RV park is kinda in the middle of nowhere AKA jsut out of Santa Margarita. We get there, and although theres no-one there we can cheeck in ourselves. Park, hook up and now it's sleeping time!!

17/6

Get up at around 9am. Do some laundry, have a nice chat with the friendly RV park lady and we are off again. James is driving to San Fran, and Caroline tells us that there is an RV park in San Fran, seemed a bit unblievalbe but anyways we head off. *Driving and time passes* we get into SF and where Caroline told us where it was, there was none. I knew it sounded dodgy!! Unsure of where to go to from here so we dirve around to find a palce to park. The streets in SF are just as steep as the movies shwo them to be by the way. Find another possible RV park in SF and decided to go ring them. Went into a Trader Joes, and they were really friendly and helped us find it, it does exist! Tried calling, noone answered so we decided to drive there anyways. Get there and its full. Great. Decision time.

So we decided that we would have to miss San Fran. I was pretty disappointed. But, if this is the worse that happens to us, then Im pretty happy. We decided to continue on our journey like we would if we had stayed in San Fran and make our way to Sacramento. Drove there, over a really long and awesome bridge, and through a toll. For some reason we thought the guy to take our money would be on the right hand side of the car, but of course hes on my side lol. Uneventful drive to Sacramento. almost turn onto the left side of the road, I knew it would happen eventually, luckily I  realised before I actually did it and there was noone there anyways. First RV park was full. This day is just one big shitty unlucky day. WE consider parking in a carpark but decide to try another RV park. Get there just as its aobut to close, and thankfully theres a space! Insert sleep here.

18/6

Sorry if this entry so far has been a bit mah, kinda short sentences and typing off memory. So we decided that we would spend the day here and leave tomorrow. This RV park is mostly if not all residents. So we are like the outsiders. Peoople we walk past or what not are nice though, say hello, ask how you are going, so it's all good. The RV park itself is in Fresno which seems to be the Rockingham of Sacremento. Walked to the light rail station, past the Campbells soup factory. Sacremento itself is a nice city. A few nice buildings, and its kind of uneventful. Bought some stuff we need like a sim card so we can call RV parks ahead!! Had lunch, well they called it brunch and brunch it was even though it was like 2pm. I had pancakes nom nom J had scrambled eggs with turkey and hash (which is like potatoes cut up and cooked like a hash brown) and I cant remember what K had. The waitress was a bit of a dud compared to the rest we have and I thought we over tipped her, but o well. Had a beer there afterwords and after checking out some more of the city we left. Now back at the RV park, which has free wifi as well (hooray!!) 8 hours drive ahead of us tomorrow we need to make it to NY in the time we planned to!!

Hope eveyone at home is ok, take care :)

 

About pleasurespikedwithpain


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.