Existing Member?

Living my dreams im living my dreams!

I'm ready for BIGGER mountains!

ARGENTINA | Thursday, 18 June 2009 | Views [497] | Comments [1]

I had a long weekend and didn't have any plans, so I went to the train station and baught a ticket (20 usd roundtrip).  I arrived late the next day (not unusal for me) and the bus had already left!  I was flabbergasted!  THIS IS ARGENTINA!  Everyone is tarde aqui, no?  I guess not everyone...just me.  So I waited two more hours.

Finally I boarded the bus and off we went.  I usually don't get car sick, but this was...BAD.  we drove through the sierras (small mountains) and I had to sit in the back of the bus.  I just kept burping and praying to God that I wouldn't barf. How embaressing would that have been.  Haha.  Crazy american girl.

Eventually, I arrived in La Cumbrecita.  It was about 3PM.  I asked the bus driver where the tourest booth was and he pointed me toward the town.  Being as disoriented as I am, it took me twice as long to find it as the normal person would have needed.  I have serious problems with orientation!

After getting my map.  I planned on walking to the hostel right away to set down my backpack, but then...I WAS CAUGHT!

CAUGHT by the windows.  Yes, they suck me in everytime.  I can't walk anywhere without looking in store windows and stopping...maybe just to look.  I really don't have dinero right now, I thought, but I can look can't I? 

I went in to an Adventure store.  Wow, this pocket knife is nice.  I could really use one.  Nevermind that I already have one...

And oh, it's on sale! Well, it's decided then.  Wait.  Oh crap!  I only have 100 (50 usd) pesos!  I forgot my money! I set the pocket knife down. 

I started unzipping all of my bags looking for more money. 

"Tiene una...uhhh...una maquina para tarjetas de credito?"  I asked the very pregnant woman sitting behind the cash register. 

"Una cajera automatico?"

"Si."  Oh plleeease God let there be an ATM here!  There has to be.

"No hay en La Cumbrecita."

Crap.  What am I going to do?  I have to eat.  What if the hostel is caro?  crappppp-ohhh-laaaaa.  Well, there isn't much I can do now except not buy this pocket knife.

I heaved my backpack on my back and headed for the door.  I turned the knob and glanced at an advertisment taped to the door.

Rappelling en La Sierras.  30 pesos.  HOY 3:30PM.

I froze.  How many chances will I get to rappel down a cliff in my lifetime?  Probably not many.  Maybe I'll have enough time to see how much the hostel will cost, and then return here and go rappelling!

"Que hora es?" I asked.

"3:23."

Great.

Two options stood before me.  Responsible option one:  go to the hostel and settle in and start walking around the town.  Irresponsible and risky option two:  go rappelling and hope to have enough extra money for hostel.

You probably know which option I chose...RAPPELLING BABY...YEAH!

I left my backpack with the pregnant lady.  Pregnant people usually don't steal stuff.  Besides, who wants to steal t-shirts and underwear? 

Yo, mi guia y two other people (a couple...of course) headed toward the sierras.  We trekked for about 1 hour.  When we reached the top of the cliff I finally had time to catch my breath.

I looked around at the view of the mountains and the small village.  Just when I thought more beauty couldn't possibly be produced in Argentina...God smacked me upside the head when I saw that view.  How many times can my breath be taken from me?  I'm astounded by all of the different landscapes and people here.  (cheap plug:  check out picture album).

I gathered all of my technical gadgets (photocamera and video camera) and scurried over to were my guia was.  He strapped me in and started giving me directions (in Spanish of course). 

At this point, I realized I really am a lunatic.  Here is why...

I was about to walk down the side of the mountain, and I didn't know how to do it.  Also, I didn't know how to communicate with the guide properly.

But, like most things, it was too late to worry, so I nodded a lot and tried to practice by mimicking his moves. 

I held tightly to the rope and leaned back.   I glanced at the ground below.  A large lump formed in my throat.  I tried not to cry as I looked down at my shaking hands. 

God please don't let me die here.  I still have things to do in my life.  I still have goals on My Life List.  I know I can do this.  I jumped off of mountain; I CAN DO THIS!

I closed my eyes and kept praying.  I took my first step back.  And then another, and another.  I opened my eyes.

WHOO HOOOOO!  I'm doing it!  I'm not dead! 

I practically ran the rest of the way.  I climbed back up and did it another time. 

I'M READY FOR BIGGER MOUNTAINS!

Comments

1

wow what an awesome experience i'm sure ur gald u did it. love you sweetz.....<3

  bree reynolds Aug 4, 2009 10:38 AM

About pilgrim192


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.