Existing Member?

WitchDoctors

leaving lazy laos

CAMBODIA | Monday, 13 November 2006 | Views [919] | Comments [1]

don't you love the alliteration! since our last entry, we have done very

very little...thankfully we don't have bed sores because we have spent most of our time on hammocks...we went straight from luang prabang to the land of 4000 islands (we picked just one to visit--DON DET)

we stayed at a place called Mr. Man's Magical Moments...and boy was it magical! we stayed in a thatched bungalow on the mekong delta (with 2 well placed hammocks on the balcony to discourage movement)...it is very difficult to leave your bungalow when an amazing australian pastry chef visits you every afternoon with delicious chocolate cake made from scratch (the man crushes his own cocoa beans!)...i became like cartman in south park--"i cannot possibly eat one more bite of its chocolatey goodness...oh wait wait...i'll try!"

life was good in laos but after spending almost a month there (a country that wasn't even part of our original itinerary) we headed onto cambodia...

our first couple of days in cambodia were much like laos except the scenery changed dramatically. we travelled down to the mondulkiri province to a town called sen monorom...it reminded us of our safari in kruger national park (south africa) more than anything we have seen so far in SE asia...the landscape was stunning. vast grasslands speckled with clusters of pinetrees...we stayed in a hut and ate in a treehouse (very rustic). phong earned the right to drive the moped again (my burns are now scarred over--people think i intentionally branded myself since part of the scar looks like claw marks). we drove almost all of the way to his motherland but the road got dodgey (new brit term we picked up).

we also got to ride an elephant to a hidden waterfall...life really is sweet sometimes. and, i finally got to eat a proper breakfast of oatmeal--yes oatmeal with honey, bananas and raisins (three days in a row--it was wonderful). i will never again take for granted the variety of foods that we have in the states--we are spoiled.

now we are in transit to the capital Phnom Penh for a few days (maybe we will find some proper cheese there).

peace out cub scout

lisa and phong

Tags: Relaxation

Comments

1

Hey Guys!

congrats on the engagement. both benita and I are extremely happy for ya'll. we enjoy reading your updates as you globe hop and look foward to your next installment. best wishes and remain safe. certainly look up the state dept. recommendations before you two head to africa, that is if you head that way. lots of rumors of wars about to break out there.

regards,

mj

  Mike Jarrell Dec 17, 2006 10:00 AM

About phongnlisa


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.