Existing Member?

WitchDoctors

Engagement at Everest!!!

CHINA | Saturday, 23 September 2006 | Views [990] | Comments [4]

From the ecstasy of engagement to the agony of altitude sickness!!!

no joke--Paul surprised the shit out of me and proposed at Everest...though he qualified the proposal stating he wasn't responsible for any of his words or actions at such a high altitude...talk about a memorable place to get engaged!!! of course, I said YES YES YES YES (: unfortunately, the adrenaline of the moment faded as acute mountain sickness took over and squashed our celebration. even though we acclimated for a few days in Lhasa (4000 meters), Everest Base Camp is over 5000 meters (the peak is >8000 meteres--nuff respect to anyone that climbs her--she is a beast!!!)

the ascent kicked both of our arses. we tried to celebrate with some Lhasa beer (made at the highest brewery in the world) but i think we each had about 2 sips (you definitely know we were sick)..we were both overcome by severe headaches (worse than a migraine--felt like the impending doom of an aneurysm)...a sweet tibetan lady literally tucked us into bed at 8pm but we were awake all night--i vomited while he suffered palpitations: it was lovely. the next day we froze on a donkey ride down to our pickup site--we were too sick to hike the 8km (my toes were literally frozen--a nice blue gray hue!)

it was the happiest day of our once in a lifetime trip (:

ciao!

Tags: engagement, mountains, mt everest, tibet

Comments

1

CONGRATULATIOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wE ARE SO VERY HAPPY TO HEAR OF YOUR GOOD NEWS BUT SORRY TO HEAR THAT YOU BOTH BECAME SO VERY ILL. I HAVE ENJOYED YOUR TRAVELS. THE PICTURES ARE AWESOME. STAY HEALTHY AND SAFE. WILL WRITE AGAIN SOON. THE WHOLE FAMILY IS WELL. IF YOU CAN DROP ME A NOTE SO I KNOW IF YOU GOT THIS. YOUR MOM TOLD ME THAT YOU DON'T ALWAYS HAVE ENOUGH TIME ON LINE AND I SURE DO UNDERSTAND THAT. WE LOVE YOU AUNT JOANIE AND JOE

  Joan & Joe Davitt Sep 25, 2006 2:52 AM

2

Oh my oh my! What a wonderful place to get engaged ... and BIG congratulations to the both of you. All the best on the rest of your trip and for the rest of your long, happy, healthy life together. Love and hugs from Bethlehem Township, PA.

  Donna (Sal too!) Sep 28, 2006 8:49 PM

3

Damn -- now I have to think of another place to propose.....that's so awesome, Paul had that "I'm gonna marry her" look in his eyes the last time we all hung out -- I should have known!!!! Sorry to have been in-communicado for the last couple of months. I've been spending a ton of time with my son and sort of lost track of the time. I will definitely keep posted on your travels from now on, and I wish you both all the happiness in the world. Talk soon.

Pete

  Pete Sears Oct 6, 2006 6:58 AM

4

Oh my goodness!!! I am sooooo happy for you guys- that is truly awesome to read your great news! secretly, I was hoping to hear this would happen soon. You both are amazing people and deserve the best in life! Best wishes for peace and happiness always!!

(Sorry this congrats comes late; somehow i missed this link last time i checked in...)

Hope you are feeling better and were able to celebrate more after your recovery.

love, Benita

  Benita Nov 1, 2006 1:58 PM

About phongnlisa


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.