Existing Member?

WitchDoctors

free Tibet?!

MONGOLIA | Saturday, 23 September 2006 | Views [628]

By Phong:

Tibet, or Shangri La, is very different from my preconception. It is a rough land especially with the chinese occupation. Unlike "mainland" China, there is extreme poverty...mothers, children, and the elderly begging; garbage strewn on the streets. In a way it is displayed as if to show to the tourist, or to the world, of how the Tibetans are uncivilized heathens. And, if it were not for the Chinese bringing "development"--roads, schools and modernization--they would still be stuck in the stone age. The Chinese believe that Tibetans are ungrateful for their "liberation."

[In 1951, Tibet was "liberated" of its independence--a 16 year old Dalai Lama (DL) acquiesced and submitted to Chinese rule--in 1956, a more mature twenty three year old DL "reconsidered" [wrongly and ungratefully according the Chinese] and demanded the independence of the Tibetan people. He was then forced into exile--and now, according to the official Chinese history, is a man who has become drunk by fame. Very interesting perspective.]

In Tibet, one can feel the exploitation and repression when observing Tibetans in their natural environment--the plateau and the Himalayas. They are very kind, inquisitive and free spirited. I hope one day the Dalai Lama will return and try to lead his people to a better environment to live in. It is starting to seem that Tibet only can hope for continued "autonomy."

Though Tibet can make you sad and frustrated, it also reminds you of the strength of the human spirit. When you gaze at Everest on a clear day (and damn it is huge!!!) or stare at the heavenly milky way in the middle of the night, it puts life into perspective on how some of our life problems can be dwarfed by mother nature.

Tags: culture, tibet

About phongnlisa


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Mongolia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.