Existing Member?

adventures in LIFE

Rome

ITALY | Saturday, 17 May 2008 | Views [582] | Comments [2]

Roman Streets

Narrow streets with Smartcar size automobiles, a magnitude of pedestrians, forest green painted residential doors in between glass and open-air storefronts.  Architecture on either side of my pathway almost always three to five stories, sometimes more.  Grand historical architecture in open piazzas and tucked away in sheltered nooks along extremely narrow streets.

Tar colored square cobblestones patter beneath my sandaled feet.  Red mopeds zoom past leaving behind them a 50 kilometer wind in my curly brown hair.  My arms scrunch to my torso to avoid possible misplacement as each moped careens past.  The sun is bold on my back; I am happy to be back in Rome. 

The gelato shops are paid a visit each day for wonderful flavors; baccio, cioccolata, crema, fuiti de bosco, stracciatella, and more.  Pasticcerias draw me to their dessert laden windows.  The aroma of freshly baked croissants and café lattes call my name from the bars.  Today I fill my borsa with fresh sliced salami, an assortment of wonderful foul smelling cheese, and fresh pane purchased from the gray haired man behind the display counter.  He carefully packages each item with a shy smile.

 
Rome Apartment
    Salva Penthouse
    Via San Salvatore 46
    In Campo Rome

Situated strategically in the heart of Rome near Piazza Navona and its famous Fontana dei Quattro Fiumie fountain by Bernini and the Trastevere area.  The simple “penthouse” unit with a tidy kitchen, an 8’ wide living room, and a feet ailing wood ladder leading to the sleeping loft, and the perfect patio for home cooked meals, good wine, and picturesque views of two duomos of nearby basilicas and neighboring windows with glimpses to Italian home life.

 
Pantheon

Husband and wife embrace in the cool rain with a single black 4 euro umbrella purchased the day before from an Indian salesman near the coliseum during a sudden rain storm.  But, from beneath the small black umbrella husband and wife take in the masterful view of the Pantheon portico glowing in the deep blue colored evening.  The white painted face mime playing with piazza accompaniments- those remaining in the damp air.  Couples and friends and families dine by candlelight beneath commercial size patio umbrellas at the edges of the piazza.  Thunder and lightning crash and fire above the pantheon rotunda.  She is eager to retreat to safety.  He is intrigued and wishes to stay for natures extravagant show.  Typical.

 

 

Comments

1

Hey guys, did you enjoy the Salva Penthouse? My friends and I were thinking of booking to stay there

  Chris Hansen Aug 17, 2008 7:59 AM

2

Yes, the Salva Penthouse was great. It is very small, but cozy. There is a double bed in a sleeping loft and I believe the sofa pulls out into a double bed. The outdoor patio is great. It is great for 2 people, but it could work for 4 people that really like eachother. We booked through www.rentalinrome.com

  Misty Aug 17, 2008 12:00 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.