Existing Member?

Peterstravels Leave nothing but footprints take nothing but photos and remember that souvenir is being carried for over 10000 miles!!

Salzburg

AUSTRIA | Tuesday, 9 April 2013 | Views [372]

What a lovely city! Founded during the Roman era this city has charm and beauty.  The city was a trading route but, it made its fortunes from Salt, hence Salzburg. Today the big draw is that Mozart was born here and both his birth house and the house to which the family moved to are worth a visit. High above the city the Hohensalzburg Fortress has protected the community for over 900 years. The views from the towers are to die for. Built by various Archbishop Princes, its austere interior is complemented by the later Residenz in the Old Town below. Here no expense was spared to create a luxury Palace. It was in one of the grand chambers that Mozart at the tender age of 6 gave his first concert!

Just a short bus drive from the city is the Summer Palace of the Archbishop Prince Markus Sittikus. The Italian inspire Villa is interesting in its own right, but, the gardens and the fountains are the big draw here. What you see is not always what it is! The fountains have a kick in the tail, hidden spouts direct water in unexpected ways to drench the unwary. Further on, small montages of the trades of the 16th and 17th centuries are water powered, but the Piece de resistance is the Mechanical Theatre where over 200 Marionettes powered by water accompanied by a water powered organ! The Archbishop was also a great collector of animals both real and imaginary, to day all that is left are swans and the lovely ducks.

I was tempted to do a tour of the New Town on the other side of the river, but I had to make a choice between that or the Brewery, guess which one won?

About peterlee54

8 Cap Roc - Western most point

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Austria

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.