Existing Member?

Peterstravels Leave nothing but footprints take nothing but photos and remember that souvenir is being carried for over 10000 miles!!

Souther Europe - Tarifa, Spain

SPAIN | Friday, 1 February 2013 | Views [216]

Well I have now made it to the most Southerly point of mainland Europe to a place called Tarifa. From here it is just 8.5 miles (14 kms) to Morocco and according to my phone I’m already there! The most Southerly point is, like the most Northerly point, on an Island. It is also prohibited to go there as it is a military base so I just had to be happy at the gate on the bridge to the Island. From here to North Cape it is about 2670 miles as a crow might fly. I, on the other hand, have drive 12670 or, surprisingly, exactly 10000 extra miles.

Tarifa is, to say the best for it, not a particularly nice looking town, but the beaches are lovely white sand. The big problem here is the wind and the cold currents coming in from the Atlantic Ocean. Having said that, I have spent a lovely afternoon watching the waves from a very calm sea break onto the terrace from where I was trying to watch surfers and canoeists enjoying the swell. I hope that overnight the wind gets up and I can see the sea when it is rough. My campsite tonight is about 200ft above the sea with fantastic views to Morocco.

About peterlee54

8 Cap Roc - Western most point

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.