Existing Member?

Penguin's World Adventures One small step for mankind, but a giant leap for a penguin!

Once a teacher, always a teacher in Windy Winnipeg!!

CANADA | Friday, 28 September 2007 | Views [594] | Comments [1]

    It's been a while since my last update & so much has happened!

I left Toronto to begin my epic train journey across thee vast country of Canada, after my final night in Global Village. I had planned for an early night, but on meeting many new friends from the Moose trips in the bar I eventually headed for some sleep at 2.30am!! So much for the early night.

Anyway, I did make it to the station by 8am for the 9am train, only to find it was running at least an hour late!! Sounds like British Rail!!

Anyway the journey was great fun, taking ages to go through Ontario - it makes you realise just how big the province is & how much bigger the whole of canada is! The scenery from the dome car was stunning, so long as you enjoy lakes, trees, more lakes & more trees!! No really, it was great & an incredibly relaxing way to travel - no rush!!

After about 30 hours on the train I reached Winnipeg, where i was getting off to stay a while. This is a lovely city that somehow didn't have that 'busy city' feel. I spent quite a bit of time just walking around getting a feel for the city. I quickly undestood why it is known as "The windy city" & also on my first day walking aroung I went down to The Forks, by the river, & it was absolutely freezing!!! And the locals tell me that's nothing, wait for winter when it gets down to minus 30 degrees C, with a wind chill, taking it to minus 40 - 50!!! I like the sound of all the white snow but I'm not sure of those temperatures!!!

After a few days in the city itself, I headed out into the Praries, to stay with my Welsh friends near Steinbach. I had a great time with them, they made me so welcome - it was odd to think that the last time we'd seen each other was about 12 years ago! How time flies!! It was so good to have a place to stay a while & truely relax & rest - it was exactly what I needed. It gave me the chance to reflect on my adventures in the east & prepare myself for my adventures to come in the west.

Whislt with these friends, my teacher instinct surfaced - helping both Aled & Nia with their school homework, & then even going into school with Bev. The Canadian schools tend to be similar to schools in England - education is really the same the world over, as are kids! I s'pose "Once a teacher, Always a teacher!!"

Saying my thanks to Bev, Keith, Nia & Aled I headed back into Winnipeg to continue my rail journey. I made a brief pause for a photo shoot at the road sign marking the exact half-way point across Canada. Just got the second half to do now!!

Tags: Friends

 

Comments

1

Good to hear from you again mucka. Glad you're having such a fab time. Use this e-mail address until I get the other one sorted. Had a great two weeks in Kansas helping my ma move house and now back to the grindstone.
Enjoying this journal...very good...you've learnt to write proper English since leaving!!
Take care mate
Love
Big Pat

  Pat Oct 1, 2007 7:19 AM

About penguinman


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.