Existing Member?

Rolling Adventures Pauline's Adventures

Week ending 17/02/2013 Porongurups, Mount Barker

AUSTRALIA | Sunday, 17 February 2013 | Views [1440]

On Thursday night I dined with Jean and Cheryl, who were on a short trip using a hired camper trailer to help make the decision about their preferred travelling style during retirement. Friday night I treated myself to fish and chips and watched the waves roll in at Middleton Beach at sunset from the tiered seating area under the trees, a lovely bush setting.

On the weekend I hired a car again and after some Saturday morning shopping and a quick test drive of a Pajero (can't get used to all the shops closing at midday on Saturday) I headed off to the Porongurup Range about 50km north of Albany, and which takes its name from the Aboriginal word 'Purrengorep' meaning meeting place near water. When I got to the Castle Rock Sky Walk picnic area I realised that I had forgotten to fill up my water container so went to the only house I could see to ask for some.

An hour and a half later, after a cup of tea with June and Bernard (both with a background in the health field) on their back verandah, I headed off again, with 4 litres of water. The Castle Rock Sky Walk passed through beautiful karri forest and huge rounded granite boulders, some balancing precariously. At the top was a section of climbing up the large granite boulders using metal handgrips embedded in the rock, then a 6 meter ladder to the very top and a walkway around castle rock with fantastic views back towards Albany although on a clearer day would have been even more spectacular.

Castle Rock Sky Walk, Porongurups

Looking Down the Ladder at Castle Rock Sky Walk, Porongurups

Granite Boulders, Castle Rock Sky Walk, Porongurups

View from Castle Rock, Porongurups

On the way down I surprised 2 kangaroos lying flat out on the track, looking quite complacent as if to say 'thank God the tourists have gone'. Mind you one of the things I've enjoyed so far here is WA is the fact that there are so many beautiful places to visit and hardly anyone there.

I camped at the Porongurups caravan Park under the trees along with many kookaburras, and had a nice little ukulele singalong with the park owners and Christy who had a beautiful soprano singing voice. The park owners said I should have come the weekend before when the WA A-liner Group (type of small A shaped caravan) came to stay with a fantastic bush poet and guitarist who put on a wonderful open air concert.

On Sunday morning I got up early (before the rain came) and walked the Hayward Peak and Nancy Peak circuit (5.5km), from the Tree In The Rock Picnic Area, which was also fabulous, with some steep sections over more granite boulders but well worth it for the spectacular views to the Stirling Ranges in one direction and Albany on the coast in the other, more kangaroos and lots of birds.

Tree in the Rock Picnic Area, Porongurups

Tree in The Rock, Porongurups

View from Nancy Peak, Porongurups

Nancy Peak Circuit Walk, Porongurups

Nancy Peak Circuit Walk, Porongurups

I had a very peaceful brunch in the Tree in The Rock picnic area under the tall timbers and with magpies as my guests. I love having my own stove so I can enjoy a cuppa at any time. Then I drove the scenic route through the Porongorups via Angwin Park Road to Mt Barker for coffee and cake in the old pub cafe and a leisurely trip back to Albany via Lower King. I was pleasantly surprised as to how my knee coped with the walking and hoping that the treatment I'm having and my daily stretching routine is doing the trick. 

Did some quick food shopping before returning my hire car and retrieving my bicycle from the hospital, feeling refreshed and ready for work on Monday.

Balancing Rock, Castle Rock Sky Walk, Porongurups

Balancing Rock, Castle Rock Sky Walk, Porongurups

About pauline

Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.