Existing Member?

Rolling Adventures Pauline's Adventures

Week ending 24/02/2013 Albany (Emu Point)

AUSTRALIA | Sunday, 24 February 2013 | Views [304]

This week 2 parcels of my favourite shoes and clothes arrived from Melbourne thanks to Marg and Leonie, who even retrieved my big suitcase from storage and described items of clothing over the phone for selection. At $15 per parcel it was an inexpensive way to increase my work and social wardrobe and I even got some favourite perfume. Leaving Melbourne by bicycle certainly did not leave room for many clothes or luxuries!

This week after work I continued my ongoing thesis of my future mode of travel. I've reached the decision that, although having thoroughly enjoyed the relatively short amount of bicycle touring I've done so far, having a bicycle as my only form of transport is somewhat limiting. Therefore I am collecting information on the various options available including campervans, camper trailers, pop top caravans, solid caravans and 4WDs and their towing capacities so that I can carry out my revised plan of a working holiday around Australia. Another perpendicular learning curve begins!

Initially I thought of getting a campervan but I would prefer something larger than the back packer size for living in full time especially when working for months at a time. However this means having to pack up every time (awning included) to drive to work, visit the supermarket, go out for an evening and also finding places to park it in town with some of the campervans having quite a high roof line. I have seen people towing a small car on a trailer behind their campervan for this reason. The other alternative which I am now exploring is getting a 4WD and towing either a camper trailer or small caravan which will enable me to unhitch the car and get around town more easily, even going away on short trips by car and tent while leaving the van at a base. I would need some towing and 4WD lessons.

On Saturday I test drove a Pajero (same one as last week) and this time Don my neighbour took it for a drive also. Although its a nice 4wd, and ticks all the boxes, it has quite high kms. There are not many suitable cars available in Albany so it may mean going to Perth for a week to look at alternatives.

I am enjoying my job at the hospital where the people are friendly, the environment is nurturing and it makes a nice change in focus from sales targets and results to making people well. Albany has a high number of retirees. Marg (my neighbour in the Big Bus who now also works in Medical Records) and I are often laughing in the evenings about the goings on at work. Recently I completed a project in the Rehab/Allied Health area and am currently working on my next project alone in the 'dungeon' (near the mortuary of all places) where its quiet and not as crowded as the 'ant farm' of the Medical Records department. It's all different experiences and my training in the new state-wide software will see me in good stead for future work possibilities at other hospitals.

Riding to work gives me an hour's exercise and is a very pleasant part of each day. Funnily enough, the lady who interviewed me for my job and who I was reluctant to tell that my transport was by bicycle, recently came to get the low done from me about showers and parking, and has just started riding her bicycle to work too! 

On Sunday morning Marg and I went to the Boatshed markets for fresh produce, live music and good coffee and Marg did some resesrch on her new hobby, soap making. When we got home my neighbour Lyn (with Bill) showed me the paintings she does while travelling. So many interesting possibilities.

In the afternoon 2 others from the Ukulele club (Steve the organizer and Clive the bicycle tourer) and I got together under the trees at Emu Point Beach to play tunes, sing songs and learn from each other. We had a great time.
 
In the late afternoon I rode into the boatshed markets to have dinner and listen to some live music. When riding home in the dark under the moon and stars, with the sound of the waves crashing, I got to thinking about how much I am enjoying my current lifestyle. Even though I am working at the moment I still feel like I'm on holiday, and although I havent got it all sorted in terms of my future travel arrangements, I know that it will get sorted and that there are many more great adventures in store for me. I feel grateful for the opportunities and generosity which have come my way so far.

About pauline

Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.