Existing Member?

The world through my eyes If it weren't for the last minute, nothing would get done!

good times

CANADA | Sunday, 16 September 2007 | Views [839] | Comments [3]

Here's me in my workshop.  I feel at home with a pinny on!

Here's me in my workshop. I feel at home with a pinny on!

Well, I've fallen behind a bit on the story typing front. Sorry folks!

The trip so far has been absolutely amazing and I've taken lots of photos which I'm adding as fast as possible.

Vancouver itself was pretty much like any other city. There are loads of highrise buildings and lots of hustle and bustle.

We only stayed there for an afternoon and made our way over to Vancouver island.

The trip over was quite an adventure. We had to figure out the buses and the ride over on the ferry was lovely. Very picturesque.

One thing I have noticed about Canada so far is how friendly everybody is. Every time we stop to take a look at a map, somebody comes over and offers to help and asks us about our trip.

Our first stop in Vancouver island was a place called Victoria. It's the capital of Vancouver island and has a really nice atmosphere. Sadly, Victoria's changing at the mo. Up until two years ago they had a three storey height restriction for buildings which is what gives it it's small town feel and allows you to see the sky at night. The new mayor has changed that now, which is upsetting the locals. There are tall buildings popping up all over the place, so it's been nice to see it now, before it turns into a mini Vancouver.

We stayed in Victoria for a few days over the labour day weekend and the whole town had a real carnival atmosphere. There was lots of live music on the waterfront and all kinds of activities to get involved in.

We went on a whale watching trip and saw killer whales and did lots of exploring!

Next we took a bus ride over to the other side of the island to a place called Tofino. Tofino's an old fishing village which is becoming increasingly popular for tourists.

There are loads of islands around Tofino and miles of coastline with beautiful long beaches, and little hidden ones too.

We stayed in a really nice b&b overlooking the harbour and mountains. The place was actually for sale and I couldn't help but think it would be a good idea to live there forever. There were 8 big rooms, so all the family could live there. We'd be like the Waltons. What do you reckon folks? It's got 3 acres of hillside and they want £250,000.

We went kayaking in Tofino which was absolutely amazing! I've added some photo's of that. We also went whale watching and saw grey whales. Grey whales grow to be about 30 ft long and they have bad breath.

Tofino was a seriously cool place. The scenery was like nothing I've ever seen before. There was even a really nice skatepark too! Check out Lisa's site too if you can. She tooks lots of pics in Tofino which are well worth a look.

From Tofino we took a monster bus ride back on the the main land and across to Whistler.

Whistler's a funny place. It's all based around fun things to do on the mountain so it's not like a normal town.

The town itself is all pedestrianised and feels pretty much like a giant centre parcs.

I've got a job here as a mechanic for an English bike holiday firm called ticket 2 ride. In exchange for my spannering, they're putting us up and feeding us.

the riding here is absolutely incredible and I was really glad to be able to get out and play on Tuesday. We've also been climbing and walking across tightropes between trees at 30ft off the ground. T'was tres scary!

We have the option to stay here in Whistler 'til the 15th of October which we might do if the weather stays as nice as it has been so far. If we get bored, or the weather turns we'll be heading south.

Meanwhile, I'll keep sticking pictures on the website so you can see what we're up to.

Love!

Tags: Adventures

 

Comments

1

Hiya Paul - that all sounds WONDERFUL. Soooooooo glad you are both having a great time. Beeeeeeg hugs and much love from me. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

  Jo Sep 18, 2007 4:44 AM

2

250.000well i can raise the 2 so i'm in. Can dream anyway!!!

  Debbie Sep 18, 2007 4:59 AM

3

Well, it all looks and sounds amazing. Keep up with the typing if you can bear it.

It has been a bright and breezy September in Bath, but I'm still jealous!

  Craig Sep 21, 2007 12:33 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.