Existing Member?

The world through my eyes If it weren't for the last minute, nothing would get done!

Bankok-Ko Phangan

THAILAND | Sunday, 8 March 2009 | Views [875] | Comments [1]

The bus arrived at the port as the sun was rising.

The bus arrived at the port as the sun was rising.

Slightly aware that I may have focussed on the less desirable aspects of my Bankok experience, I feel as though I should mention that although it is a hugely overcrowded city, the people there were so friendly and welcoming that despite the different surroundings, I never felt intimidated by the people.

I was able to appreciate the sprawl of Bankok as I left on the bus to Ko Phangan.

Ko Phangan is a small island (190 sq km) about 700 hundred km south of Bankok.

As the bus progressed southward, the land became increasingly mountainous and tropical.  The local villages consisted of small clusters of shacks , where people were all gathered outside socializing.

As the only Westerner on the bus and the only English speaker, I had a pretty interesting time, but managed to get all the way to Ko Phangan using hand gestures and broken Thai.

When I first arrived in Phangan a little dazed and confused, I jumped onto a local's pick up truck and got a ride into Haad Rin where I'd planned to stay. 

All seemed to be going incredibly smoothly when I saw a sign for the Muay Thai school, but, unable to get through the gate I went into the adjacent building, thinking that must be where the accomodation was.

I was greeted by a  friendly lady who sat me down and asked what I wanted.  I asked if I could stay, but there seemed to be some confusion.

After a few minutes of not making much progress, a younger lady was called out to help.  Her name was Pokiy, and thankfully she spoke good English and was able to explain that I was in the wrong place.

Pokiy gave me a lift on her moped to Kobra Muay Thai, where I'm now staying with Master Kongpipop and his family.

Of course, I didn't realise that I'd been asking if I could stay for two weeks in a brothel.  It did take some explaining to Master Kongpipop when we passed the brothel last night on the way to a Muay Thai match, and all the ladies called my name and waved.

I'm being well looked after now though.  And during the day, we train hard before sitting in a circle on the floor and eating delicious Thai food in the evening.

When I'm not training, I explore the island on a rented moped, which is quite an experience.  There are no road rules whatsoever, and only around half of the roads are sealed.

It's a fun way to get about and allows me to see lots.  I'll take my camera out nexy time so you can see the island too.

Comments

1

That all sounds amazing! The story about the brothel made me laugh out load.

Sounds like you made the right decision about the Muay Thai School too.

Ex

  Ellie Mar 8, 2009 9:57 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.