Existing Member?

The world through my eyes If it weren't for the last minute, nothing would get done!

Bankok

THAILAND | Thursday, 5 March 2009 | Views [609] | Comments [2]

The markets were amazing places.  Full of sights and smells and hustle and bustle.

The markets were amazing places. Full of sights and smells and hustle and bustle.

The streets are lined with buildings that look as though they ought to be condemned.

Street traders fry fish, chicken, insects and frogs as the many delapidated vehicles that pass spew out their noxous fumes.

Stray dogs and feral cats roam the streets, considering whether or not to beg for food, or perhaps attack, whilst tuk tuk drivers conspire to take you for All you've got.

Don't be distracted though, or you'll trip down a sewer, be electricuted by a live wire dangling at head height from a pylon, or skewered on a jagged piece of metal protruding from the ground.  An architect's long forgotten unfinished project, no doubt.

This place is dangerous.

But I love it!

At first it was scary, but I faced it.  The reward was the enjoyment of seeing a forty metre tall Budha.  Loads of shrines and temples of all kinds.  Crazy architecture, and hectic bustling markets. 

I rode a crowded river bus in the foul smelling waters, and saw the same fish which are fried at the roadside in their natural habitat...Nasty.   I also saw a Muay Thai fight.

The sights, the smells, the noise, the heat and the emotions.  It's sensory overload like I've never experienced before. 

This is travelling as it should be!

Comments

1

Wow!! Hope you have somewhere safe to stay in Bangkok and you meet up with some nice people. The sooner you get out to that peaceful island the better. I have put all your blog pages together. Bill Bryson had better look to his laurels. Checked Ellie's blog today, someone at Mission Beach has sent her a special offer on accommodation if you go back one day. Watch out for those Tuk tuks they head straight for you in the hustle and bustle.You've got the Indiana Jones lifestyle down to a tee. ! Love you loads as ever xx

  M&D Mar 5, 2009 5:52 AM

2

Awesome

that's all i have to say about that!

Ex

  Ellie Mar 5, 2009 5:52 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.