Existing Member?

WorldNomads Scholarship

Life beyond your comfort zone.

INDIA | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [231] | Scholarship Entry

Almost four years ago, I decided to live in a place that would bring me a cultural shock, a place where I would face difficulties and extreme feelings. I decided to allow myself to experience everything that was different and out of my comfort zone.

So there I was, in India. It has been a while, but all the senses of being there all by myself seem to be fresher in my memory than trying to describe what I had for lunch yesterday. I arrived there with no expectations whatsoever, thinking I would be grateful to find a roof over my head and a bed to sleep on by the end of the day. At that time, whenever I had a proper shower instead of a tiny bucket to bathe myself with, I was feeling fancy. That struggle became little once I realized I was there being able to see elephants, cows, camels and monkeys on my random way to work. It was paradoxically beautiful as synaesthesia: the smell of colors and taste of prays; exactly the way it should be. I was living under conditions that I couldn't even imagine before. I never thought that I would feel so great doing something that sounds so different... but I did.

I realized that the world is not as obvious as we think it is. I went to Nepal to hike close to the Everest and I ended up seeing baby elephants in the middle of the jungle. I went to Malaysia and discovered my passion for Chinese tea. I went to Thailand and found out that sticky rice with mango and ice cream is a delicious combination. I crossed to Laos travelling in a slow boat for two days and, somehow, I didn't feel tired. I went to Vietnam and learned that I would need a lot more than one million to become a millionaire. I went to Singapore and learned that chewing gum can be forbidden. I went to China and I felt like playing "Pictionary" with strangers on the street.

Now, how did I end up here? Here, on the other side of being a traveler, trying to run away from this trivial life some people call 'routine'. I understand how much I've changed: it's not about leaving my home; it's about leaving my habits behind and stepping out of the bubble in which we live. Out there, the lack of vanity becomes beauty, discomfort turns into privilege, and the unknown becomes culture. If beauty really is in the eyes of the beholder, then travelling is what it takes to give you a new perspective.

I once believed I could make a positive impact in people's life. As it turns out, I realized that I can't really change people, but I can allow the world to change me instead.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About patchi


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.