Existing Member?

Europe

A Revisto

FRANCE | Friday, 11 April 2008 | Views [427]

Yesterday our art class was cancelled for the afternoon, so Bradie and I wanted to make the best of the time that would normally be spent in class.  We took the bus to Marseille and spent the afternoon walking along the port and then finding a nice place along the water to talk and 'boire une verre' ('drink a glass')  The afternoon was so sunny and warm.  We wore these light-colored sun dresses and got lots of stares from the black-clad French.  And unwelcomed hollars from French males. 

We used to think that the male attention in France was flattering.  At first we thought they found us attractive.  But then we started to realize that it was more of a game to them than anything.  In the U.S., I've never had so much attention, but it's not good attention here.  They just want to see if they can pick you up, like a little game.  For the next gents that approach us, Bradie will be telling him or them that her name is "Pocahontas" and mine will be "Robert".

When it started getting chilly, we decided to go to dinner.  She'd never tried Indian food before and I love how she's willing to try anything (yes, eating lots of Indian food in France...I really like it, okay?).  She liked it, and it was a fun night.  It was a date, actually, because her birthday is coming up next Saturday.  Her mom will be here visiting and I'm going to be biking Provence during the Spring Break.  In case I can't be there, I wanted to have a special one-on-one celebration with her like she had with me on mine.

I fell asleep so deeply last night. I think after a day of sun I was completely wiped out.

I woke up this morning to rain.  It's the first day of Spring Break.  People from my school are visiting Europe in every-which-direction.  I wanted to do that at first, but then I decided that I wanted to see this region in more depth.  I came to the South of France for a reason.  There's so much to see in Provence--it has the Alps as well as the Mediterranean, and it has the plains and rivers in between.  My teachers have been telling me not to miss the Luberon area at this time of year, so that is one place I know I want to make it to.  I also really want to see the big white cliffs and beaches of Cassis.   And I have time for exploration and adventure this whole week...or not, if I so choose. 

I probably won't have internet access during the break, but if I come across some I will try to update.  I hope to have really rich stories when I get back.  I have no idea what to expect from this next week!

A revisto!

(Provencal for 'see ya later')

About pamelaglosson


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.