Existing Member?

Europe

I can't believe I forgot my rain jacket!

PORTUGAL | Sunday, 17 February 2008 | Views [482]

It rained for the entire day on Sunday. I woke up and looked at the clock hoping that I'd at least gotten a lot of rest if the day was going to be rainy, but it was still only 7:30. I had a slow tea and breakfast then I wandered around the town of Lagos a bit, but nothing was open. It was Sunday. I actually had lots of homework to finish over break so I spent the rest of the morning and early afternoon in my room, listening to the rain and reading and writing in the pedantic French-school way. It wasn't that bad, actually. I had sketches to do for class...I drew different objects in the room until I could perfect them. I tried writing some short stories for fun. I tried venturing out of the hostel every couple of hours or so because it felt like that's what I should do as I AM visiting Portugal! But it was no use, because nothing was open. But when the rain finally ceased after dark, I wandered out again. I was browsing the different restaurants in town because they all keep their menus posted outside so you can sort of decipher the local specialties. Besides fish, they had lots of Indian food there. The title "Tasty Indian Restaurant" made me laugh. While I was looking around, an older couple from Toronto saw me reading the English part of a menu and said "hey, if you're looking for a place to eat, there's a nice place up here". I didn't really want to eat out, since I hadn't done anything all day anyway. But I followed their step and got to meet them. They went to this Italian restuarant, actually. It wasn't Portugese at all. They asked me about my studies and they told me about their life in Toronto a bit, and they told me about some good places to visit while in the south of Portugal... castles and little towns and things, so I wrote down everything and maybe I will try them soon.

Tags: Beaches & sunshine

About pamelaglosson


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Portugal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.