Existing Member?

Longer Latitude Journey behind the Ironic Curtain

Prague's Karlüv Most: A Bridge Wrapped in Bohemian Sandstone

CZECH REPUBLIC | Friday, 25 March 2016 | Views [317]

The Gothic style Charles Bridge over the Vltava River connects the Old Town (Stare Mêsto) with the Lesser Town (Malá Strana) and Hradčany (Prague Castle). It's construction, the Stone Bridge, was begun by Holy Roman Emperor Charles IV in 1357. It's a wide bridge (nearly 10 metres wide from wall-to-wall) but it needs to be considering the ongoing pedestrian congestion on it.

During the day a constant phalanx of sightseers can be observed moving over it at snail pace - or not moving at all which it seems at times! Strewn all along the balustrade on either side at regular intervals are statues of saints (30 in all). So liberally adorned with statues is the bridge that you'd think they'd have found room to include the patron saint of bridge traffic himself! The locals' favourite statue is St John of Nepomuk - the done thing if you are Czech is to rub the figure's limbs as you pass it for good luck (just like the Moscovites religiously do in the underground metro stations in the Russian capital).

The old cobbled path bridge is full of street vendors selling food or more commonly souvenirs (small paintings and drawings of Prague city scenes are popular items but also other crafty trinkets). The bridge is also a favourite haunt for various musicians who ply their trade in the hope of attracting the generosity of appreciative tourists. As we crossed one particular lively folk band caught our eye, they were an eclectic, motley crew - dressed like gypsies doubling as extras from 'Pirates of the Caribbean', complete with bongo drums and Scottish bagpipes.

Ancient looking towers bookend either end of Karlüv most ... on the Lesser Town side the tower has the sole remaining remnant of the original Romanesque (Judith's) bridge. On the Stare Mêsto side stands by far the most famous of Prague towers - the Old Town Bridge Tower is a magnificent Gothic structure although it looks its age, blackened by damage by 17th century Swedish marauders.

Medical advice for anyone suffering from the effects of ochlophobia: to avoid the "football stadium" crowds on the Charles Bridge you need to visit early AM or after nightfall.

Tags: medieval landmark

About paganmaven


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Czech Republic

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.