Existing Member?

Our Wander Lust Around the World

Day Two - Sighseeing in Barcelona

SPAIN | Thursday, 3 July 2008 | Views [1415]

Traveling alone to a new country is intimidating but a great learning experience. Now I had no crutch or fall-back to rely on when I couldnt converse in local language to conduct the very basic tasks (example - request for a taxi!). There is no Fernando to help me translate the local language and no tourist guide to hand me everything on a platter!Equipped with very limited knowledge of the city and not knowing a tad of Spanish, I ventured out on my adventurous day of sightseeing only with a good guide book.

Steering off my course of sightseeing and succumbing to my fashion craze, I was lured in to ‘Zara’, a Spanish clothing retailer with a 4 story store in the heart of Barcelona!3 hours later and loaded with 2 big bags of shopping, I hop on to the ‘Bus Touristica’ and set off on my journey to discover the passionate works of ‘Antonio Gaudi’. His famous pieces, ‘La Praderera’ (Picture # 1) , ‘Castle Bolcth’ (Picture # 2), ‘Sagara Familia’ (Picture # 3) and ‘Park Guiell’ (Picture # 4)  are not only awe-inspiring in their style and structure but provoke a mystical sense of appreciation for the artists work. It is known that he was obsessed with art and his peculiar style was inspired by nature.

Barcelona has an exciting city-life buzz and amazing cultural beat with beautiful environs as it sits right on the Mediterranean coast line. So taking advantage of its proximity to the ocean, I headed to the beach to have a drink with my friend, Mar who is a doctor in ‘Hospital delmar’ right by the oceanfront! Hmmm…..life is so tough in Barcelona ;-) Later in the evening, we went for a passionate Flamenco show in Montujuic.

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.