Existing Member?

Contrasts of a Blue Planet hat we have here is a set of stories and photos from varied localities around the globe. My travels have taken me to all continents in the past two years. From safaris in Kenya, sailing in Zanzibar, trekking in Nepal, helping out with a new school in the

Germany

GERMANY | Tuesday, 16 May 2006 | Views [1056]

GERMANY… Copyright Geof Prigge

geofprigge@yahoo.com.au

www.geofprigge.com

Germany offers the visitor almost everything one could imagine. From skiing some of the best powder slopes in the world during winter - to sailing, swimming and kite-surfing picturesque lakes in the summer. There’s rock climbing, paragliding, hiking - and the country is often described as one of the most spectacular areas in Europe. My favourite region is Bavaria.

For those interested in travelling to the south in order to see what’s on offer, Munich is a fantastic place to start. The city is considered very safe and apart from the Oktoberfest, offers a considerable number of real highlights.

The museums are plentiful from the famous Deutsches Museum, Germany’s leading museum of science, engineering and transportation to the BMW Museum, Bavaria Filmstadt Geiselgesteig (Europe’s largest film studio), and lots more.

There are beer halls and restaurants serving the world’s best beers and gastronomic delights that the most critical food connoisseur would appreciate.

Some that are worth a visit are the Weißes Brauhaus, Ratskeller, Augustiner Holbeinstube or simply eat outside (weather permitting) in the Viktualienmarkt right beside Marienplatz and enjoy a bratwurst or leberkäse with potato salad.

The underground U-Bahn and S-Bahn are easy to master and efficient to the minute. The networks are extensive.

There are beautiful churches, famous castles, numerous breweries, spectacular shops, history at every turn and a population willing to speak English and practice their skills.

Highlights like the Glockenspiel in the city’s Rathaus capture the attention of thousands of tourists daily, but the dancing figures are far less impressive than what is offered elsewhere throughout this beautiful region.

Zugspitze is one such location where you can ride the cogwheel railway and see four countries as you ascend. This is Germany’s highest mountain, and apart from seeing four different countries you are also able to look over to where King Ludwig built a castle on a very isolated mountain top called Schachen. From the outside it looks like a humble rock and timber dwelling, but inside it transforms itself into a real palace, much of it built underground and into the mountain, but with views of the Zugspitze and all the nearby mountains and impressive valleys. He built many castles throughout all of Bavaria, and just about every one of them was either weird and wacky or over the top with crazy opulence. It’s said that he was a total party animal into all sorts of 19th century drugs and to top it off was gay as well. He died in the nearby Starnbergersee near where Bob Marley spent his final months fighting cancer. Nobody knows if King Ludwig drowned, committed suicide or was killed. There are many theories.

Nearby is the River Partnach and one of the most beautiful river walks imaginable. Dramatically high and impressive cliffs, fast flowing waters, a walkway right beside the river and cave after cave to meander through. It is surreal.

At the end of the walk is the famous ski jump of the winter Olympics at Garmisch itself.

My advice is to spend a few days wandering around Munich first and see what happens. Apart from churches and castles, beer halls, monasteries and museums, you’ll come across street musicians like nowhere else on earth. My favourite is Ivan Hajek, arguably the finest aficionado of the accordion in the world. People like this captivate the crowds and give Munich it’s reputation as a cultural hub of Europe.

After a few days in this fantastic city, head south, into the lake area. Starnberg, Ammersee, Pilsensee, Wörthsee, Kochelsee and hundreds more. If you’re lucky enough to take a flight over this part of Germany, it’ll take your breath away. In any season, it is nothing short of spectacular.

Tags: Sightseeing

About ontheroadandoff


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Germany

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.