Existing Member?

Oli the Nomad This is a copilation of when I lived in India in 2009.

WHY ARE INDIAS INSECTS SO NASTY???!!!

INDIA | Tuesday, 19 May 2009 | Views [902]

They must really enjoy foreign blood. Because I haven’t seen anyone around me been bitten without mercy by mosquitoes, attacked by tiny but mighty ants, stung by a wasp so yellow it looks like lemon fanta or even pricked by a bee in the middle of their sleep!!! So, again, they must like spanglish blood. As, if this is not the case, what is happening to me is just bad insect karma!!

The heat continues its powerful rising. Im at 46ºC today. Thankfully, inside the office, its cool and airy. And I have plenty of work which will keep me in here and out of the striking sun. Those who work with me do not understand how I was able to spend the whole of last weekend walking around Old and South Delhi as if it were a normal spring day. If you ask me, I realised my foolishness and bravery when the weekend was over. Not only by what others were saying, but by how worn out and sun struk I felt after those two days! But they were completely worth it!

Saturday I spend wondering the streets of Old Delhi. I hopped on a Rickshaw and was there after a long trip through the city. As Im in the South, and Old Delhi is in the North, I had to cross the whole city. The change in scenery throughout the bumpy 1 hour ride was outstanding. The centre is rich and clean, surrounded by beautifully built houses (owned by the government ), well kept wide streets, and fresh, fragrant greenery. Once you glide your way out of New Delhi, you realise you are entering Old Delhi when you squeeze dangerously into a packed narrow street full of noise, dust, cars, rickshaws, people….suddenly your 5 senses are all working at once. And this, a month and a half ago, would have scared me. This day, it amused and fascinated me.

My destiny was Antyodaya, an NGO a friend of mine from Barcelona works with. I had been told all about it. And now wanted to meet it in person. I was greeted by jolly Vinash, a sweet 21 year old who takes care of the NGO´s installations and people 24h a day, from Monday to Sunday. His boss, Father Ravi, and creator of this organisation, was away on a trip. So Vinash was in charge of the whole lot. And the way he handled it so naturally was admirable. He showed me around the building. First, the mens area. A room filled with beds and men, chatting, playing, sleeping… The same could be seen in the women and children quarter, although a lot more of playing was going on there!!

 These people and children are basically rescued from the streets. Offered shelter, food, company, help…a home. It may sound difficult to believe, but Vinash told me many people from the street have been given this opportunity, and have rejected it. Why? A 90% of those on the street drug themselves and drink. They lose complete sense of real life. And many prefer staying the way they are, because they see no other way out.

There was a young man who 6 months ago was given 2 days of life. He got into a huge fight and, wounded, ended up lying on the street for days. Maggots entered trough the foot and made their way up the leg, to the hip bone. When Father Ravi found him, he only had patches of skin stuck to the bone. He was cleaned and taken to hospital where they said he would not survive. You should see him now. Healthy and strong!!

The children were adorable. I fell in love with each one of them. But who wouldn’t? They just want to hug, kiss and touch you!!

I was also guided by Vinash through the bustling Chandi Chowk, a main street in Old Delhi. And I ate a Paratha, a very popular dish here. Its not for the healthy eaters though!! It’s a pastry covered and fried in butter, and you dip it into oily sauces and chutneys. Its was scrummy! And it didn’t seem to affect my oh so delicate stomach! The whole day experience was great, even though I returned home as if Id been hit by a truck!!

Now a Bombay and Goa trip awaits me! Ill be seeing my cousin in Bombay, whom I haven’t seen in aaaaaaaaages and really look forward to seeing, and a couple of days later i´ll be meeting Álvaro there. Then we´ll both move on to Goa, where we plan to relax at a gorgeous hotel, explore villages, enjoy the stunning sandy beaches and eat real good food.

It seems I just don’t stop still here! And I love it!!!

About olivia_cerezo


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.