Existing Member?

Travels and holidays

Sicily - Taormina

ITALY | Tuesday, 2 July 2013 | Views [279]

The View

The View

July 4
Up early for pickup at 0600.  Got to the airport in around 20 min! Through security eventually - overlooked sun cream was verboten.  Flight to Munich was Ok the plane had props so Michelle not overly impressed.  Then the 3.5 how wait for the Catania flight.  Scraped enough Euro's together for a baguette as forgot to get some cash earlier.  Angus rang and told us about Pa being in hospital following a suspected stroke - which we had already deduced.
He had visited with Tess last night and found him OK and comfortable. We collected a Opel diesel as the Porsche Boxter was in for repair and off we went for the 45 min drive to Taormina  at breakneck speed.  No parking in the main streets and after going where no one had been before in a car we eventually manoeuvred our way to the public parking area and caught a shuttle closer to the town centre.  A 200m walk in drizzle to the hotel Isabella - small Italian (the hotel) a rather crowded bathroom but sensational views - check the photos.  We wandered for 15 min before sitting with a Biera Grande and watching the passing parade.  Dinner was exceptional in what appeared to be a family run rest. - Michelle's spaghetti with anchovies and breadcrumbs just out scored my pappardelle with shrimps and pistachios . More Biera Grande and some red of the house was followed by the most sensational Semifreddo ever.
A really amazing town both for its architecture built on the side of a substantial hill and the  variety of restaurants in such close proximity.
Can't get a Le Tour result crappy CNN only.
 
July 5
Basic breakfast on the rooftop of the hotel with amazing views of the coast and Mt Etna shrouded in cloud.  Then a short walk to the Greek theatre which was being set up for Rigoletto on the weekend.  A guy started singing" o sole mio "-great voice and was met with applause from onlookers and some workmen.  We then toured the public gardens and some old ruins around them, with great views of the ocean and port below.  Leisurely lunch - grilled sardines or calamari + local ale and Blog catchup before an afternoon siesta.  Had to hunt for glasses to have a G&T - better than disposable plastics on room offer.  Did a lap of the town, no luck so had a light refreshment in the Irish pub while watching the Wimbledon semi-final between Jokovich and Del-Potro.  My local bottleshop "mate"was able to help out with directions to a local store for glasses, so I bought a grande beer to keep him on side.  We returned to the same restaurant from last night great again esp the anti-pasta then a cannoli and candied orange on the way home - for me.

 July 6

We decided to hike up to Castel Mola, up from Taormina. The guide book said it was a 20 min uphill walk with the last section being more challenging. It took us closer to an hour and the whole walk was pretty steep. A stinking hot day and little shade didn't help. We stopped of at a little grotto chapel and said a few prayers. Continued on up to the top. Wandered around the medieval streets. stopped of for a lemon granita. Delicious. The cafe was a little weird, nearly every artefact, chair, stair rail and tap was a penis. Didn't notice till we sat down. The view from the roof was spectacular. We could see over the coast and Taoramina. Walked back down the hill. Slightly less difficult. Returned to the hotel absolutely done in. Siesta. Had lunch at the restaurant across from the hotel as we were too stuffed to walk any further. More wandering around town, bought a tea towel. Dinner at our favourite restaurant again "Baccanale". Sat on the verandah with a cold drink trying to see if we could hear the opera "Rigoletto" chatted to a family from Finlad, who were going home early the next day.

 

 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.