Existing Member?

Travels and holidays

Sicily - Syracuse

CZECH REPUBLIC | Monday, 8 July 2013 | Views [249] | Comments [1]

July 7

Up and out after breakfast. Caught the bus back to the parking area outside of the city. Fired up the GPS and head to Syracuse. Speed limits and indicators are apparently optional. Bit worried Norm is starting to think and drive like an Italian. Had no problems on our approach to the city. After several circuits, we found what we thought was the closest parking area. We rang the hotel and they said it was ok to drive right up to the door, so we put the address in and set off. As we were doing a right hand turn I noticed a red light and said to Norm I don't think we can drive up there. A local man was wagging his finger at us. He came over to the car and told us we would be fined. As we were talking with him saying the hotel had ok'd it the police arrived and after a short discussion they said Hotel Roma? follow us, and escorted us to the door of the hotel down a very narrow tourist street and across a square which we wouldn't have gone down after our experience in Taormina. The hotel would look after the car parking. The Hotel Roma is so much nicer than the last. Quick walk around town to get our bearings lots of stationary boats full of people in the harbour - worked out no beach so they swim/eat on their boats.  Pizza for lunch. Watching the men's finale of Wimbledon and Le Tour before dinner.

July 8

We went out early to look at the local produce market - only located some basic souvenir stalls so back to the hotel for breakfast, to find we needed to go one street further!! Basic b/fast although hard boiled eggs were pounced on.  Market was really great with lots of fresh veg and fruit, spices and some amazing fish stalls with enormous 0.5m wide red tuna and swordfish. After a lap we then walked back over the bridge and through the city to the archeological site.  Roman theatre was interesting with Eucalypts on one side and a  sunken section in the middle that could be flooded via aqueducts so they could simulate navel battles. Then past allegedly the worlds largest alter carved out of limestone some 23 x 198 m where 450 cattle were slaughtered at one time before roasting them and feeding the masses.  On to the Greek theatre which like the one in Taormina was being set up for an event.
This was all carved out of the mountainside with large burial chambers at the top and a water fall fed by a aqueduct and great views from the top down to the ocean.  There was a large sunken garden Paradise Latomia,  with man made caves around the edge - quarries, one with great acoustics - Ear of Dionysius 65 m long and 23 m high where even the faintest sounds are amplified.  The whole garden was overrun with  flowering Oleanders of all colours.  Wandered our way back towards Syracuse Oritiva and found a great cafe where we shared a freshly made baguette of fresh sliced ham, cheese, tomato and marinated olives - perfecto.  A rest then a short walk to the harbour for a beer then on to the best restaurant so far Al Mazari.  Family run and in the Michelin Guide.  We had red tuna carpaccio each then I had a "delicious Sea Bass" while Michelle chose the sardine pasta with pine nuts wild fennel and toasted breadcrumbs.  A local  red wine blend was also easily consumed.  Dessert was cheesecake with  chocolate, too much!

Comments

1

Hi Norm and Michelle. Loving your travel diary and now I am getting excited and nervous as I depart tomorrow. Looks like it is very hot over there so will be a bit of a shock to the system. See you in Italy on the 19th!! Mwah back to you both!! K xxx

  Karen Kenshole Jul 9, 2013 4:09 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Czech Republic

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.