Existing Member?

Travels and holidays

Prague

CZECH REPUBLIC | Monday, 1 July 2013 | Views [323]

Relax

Relax

Sun June 30: After a good nights sleep and great breakfast. We attended mass at St. Jacobs baroque basilica. This was very moving even though we couldn't understand any of it apart from Amen & Allelluia. There was a young boy soprano and a female soloist whose singing was truely Spine tingling. We then headed off on a self guided walking tour of the old town and Jewish quarter. Along with half a million other tourists. Wenceslas square, the Charles bridge and st Agnes convent. A late lunch of beer, sausage, potato and grated horseradish. Back to the hotel to rest our tired feet.  Dinner of rabbit and duck before wandering  back through the main old town square.  This city is full of shops selling crystal, amber and absinth as well as garnet -  allegedly Michelle's Chinese birthstone.

Mon July 1: Decided we would take the tram to the Prague castle so got detailed directions from the hotel desk and off we went.  Nice scenic tram ride but got the impression all was not according to plan.  A young lady asked if we needed help - yes this is the right tram but wrong direction.  Well at least we got out of the city.  The castle is enormous but largely empty save for the 1.5 m tourists in 53 groups. Our little detour made us arrive at peak time.  Plenty to see and great views back over the city.  We walked back down the hill - 1200 steps for pizza and liquid refreshments before crossing the river via Charles bridge and staggering over the cobblestones to the hotel.  Well we did stop for some shopping for someone's Chinese birthstone!  Delicious meal in the hotel - venison and veal together with a Czech pinot.

Tue July 2: 

Walked to the New town Hall (1400's) and climbed the tower to over look Charles square. Enjoyed the sunshine in the park, where a local television news program was being filmed and headed back to Wenceslas Square for some lunch. browsed the shops, where Norm bought some shoes, walked some more. Had to leave one restaurant/bar as patrons their all smoking. What is it with Europeans and smoking?

Wed July 3

 This morning took a boat ride on the Vlatava for an hour on a small boat where we were the only customers, cute and entertaining. Walked around the lesser town, the Franz Kafka museum and the Vojanovy gardens where several peacocks were screeching and displaying their feathers. Walked to the Czech senate gardens, very impressive with an arcitect designed wall and huge avairy of owls then back to the Charles bridge. Had goulash soup in a bread bowl for lunch. back to the hotel for a rest..dinner of Pork knuckle, horseradish and mustard, pannacota and Slivovitz then packed our bags ready for tomorrow's trip to Sicily via Munich.

 

 

Travel Answers about Czech Republic

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.