Existing Member?

australian discoveries

cairns

AUSTRALIA | Tuesday, 5 July 2011 | Views [253]

so i just made a quick stop in cairns but was able to see so much.  i started off by going to see the great barrier reef once again.  this time i was able to go out to the outer reef.  i travelled on the reef magic boat that took us out even though there was a bit of a swell that day.  there was a high school group from florida that didnt do so well with the waves and spent most of their time hanging off the back railing to feed the fishes. but once we got out there we were able to snorkel off their own private pontooned craft.  just beautiful sights.  got to see many different types of coral as well as to see many types of fish including a clown fish or "nemo" fish.  they also have this large freinly fish called wally that comes right up to you he was a couple of feet long and might have weighed a couple of hundred pounds they say.  but the experience was absollutly ammazing.  i also took part in a guided adventure snorkel which took us out to he edge of the reef itself and were able to see more schools of fish.  on the way back to the main ship we were able to see how the coral changed from the outer edge to the more prottected inner reef and the types of fish and coral that can live there.   then we went back to cairns where i can say there is not much to do during the day other then sit by their man made lagoon as they dont have a real beach and it is better as they can swim in it even in stinger season.  the next day i took a day tour to the rainforest and was able to get a guided tour through a small part of it before heading off to see an aboriginal presentation.  i was able to throw a boomerang and got to try a digeridoo again.  they explained a bit about their culture and how it has changed over the years.  from there we went to a butterfly sanctuary where we got to see many types of butterfly including the birdwing butterfly whick is the size of a bird.  to end off the day we took a skyrail trip over the rainforest and were able to see it from a different view.  over the cannopy.  so this was great and we were able to stop at two different stations to see some waterfalls.  incredible.  but the day was closing down and the next day i was off to Darwin.  which i will tell you about soon.  but am on my way to Broome by car and will be a while till i see internet again but will try to get some pictures as well as more writting up while in broome.

About nooltn


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.