Existing Member?

Volunteer Abroad

5 Reasons to Rethink on Your Volunteering Trip to Sri Lanka

SRI LANKA | Friday, 16 October 2015 | Views [312]

Wanderers, backpackers, and gap year travelers are all acquainted with the beauty of Sri Lanka. Considered to be one of the best tourist spot in the world, Sri Lanka has gained the reputation of being a crowd puller. Over the years, the country has also emerged as one of the leading volunteering destinations, and is one of the top visited volunteer destinations in Asia offered by Volunteering Solutions. However, there is a flip side to visit the country to volunteer, which, in case you are planning to do, must consider.

 

The pious etiquette will make you question your own sobriety

Young Buddhist Monks in Sri Lanka

Almost 70% of entire country’s population is that of Buddhist followers, which goes to show the subtlety and politeness in the behavior of native Sri Lankans. While working under any of the volunteer programs offered in Colombo you will get the opportunity to have personal interactions with people from different socioeconomic backgrounds, but will be amazed to see the similarity in their attitude and way of treating others; especially guests.

 

You may get lost in the serenity of deep rainforests

The Lush green catchment area

Covering almost 30% of Sri Lanka’s territorial land is the lush green rainforest area, with diverse and endemic flora and fauna. The forest region in Sri Lanka is divided into two main parts;
1). Sri Lanka lowland rain forests, and
2). Sri Lanka montane rain forests.

With highest density of amphibian species in the world, 150 species of trees in only the lowland rainforest area, and several endemic plants and animals, Sri Lankan forests certainly makes a wonder of a world to explore and lose yourself to it. Volunteers also have the opportunity of going for jungle safaris at several different national parks and nature reserves.

 

The scintillating beaches will make you so lazy, you would never want to leave

Search for best beach destination in South Asia and you will see maximum votes going for Sri Lanka. The reason behind this monopoly is the long 1600 km stretch of exquisite coastline, formed by Indian Ocean, dotted with palm fringed beaches; and also, of course, because it’s an island country after all. And due to plethora of options across the country, there is something for every kind of beach fanatic; such as water sports, sunbathing, or just a peaceful stroll at the beach line. Now who would ever want to leave such a comfort zone? Not me!

 

Choosing from a wide variety of cuisine may get frustrating

Although, the main ingredients of a typical Sri Lankan cuisine are rice, coconut, and spices, the variety of delicacies one may have on platter is endless. Especially, for the seafood lovers Sri Lanka is nothing less than a food paradise, with the likes of crab curry, Shrimp fritters, sour fish curry, and more. And having a long history of being a significant trade port for spices, even before colonization, one can expect strong tang and incredibly spicy dishes served on your table. It’s time for my meal!

 

 

Visiting ancient ruins will eat up a lot of your time  

Ancient Consulate General Of Sri Lanka

Ah! Heritage sites and historical monuments. A place where most of the travelers visit only to click pictures (selfies nowadays) to show their relatives they explored the country. And if you, too, are one of them, unfortunately Sri Lankan heritage sites are quoted with immensely intriguing stories that will not let you wrap up the visit with just few clicks. The historical ruins of Sigiriya, The Royal Palace of Kandy, The ancient city of Anuradhapura, and several historical monasteries, you won’t be able to skip the charm of their inception.

 

 

All this and many more such facts about this country goes to show that if the country has been tagged as one of the top travel destinations by several leading travel websites, it’s not for nothing. So if you think you are bold enough to take these challenges head-on, then wait no more. Do not refrain yourself from experiencing the delight of volunteering in Sri Lanka.

Tags: asia volunteer programs, sri lanka volunteer programs, travel asia, travel sri lanka, volunteering in sri lanka

 

 

Travel Answers about Sri Lanka

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.