Existing Member?

Volunteer Abroad

Things To Do While Volunteering in Kerala

INDIA | Wednesday, 7 September 2016 | Views [376]

Located in the southern region of India, the state of Kerala is a worldwide popular tourist destination. Thousands of tourists, from across the globe, visit Kerala every year to experience and soak in the natural beauty spread all over. I was fortunate enough to visit this God’s own country on a volunteer trip at the beginning of 2016.

Oh! Right. Not all of you must be aware what a volunteer trip is all about. This is a form of travel that i choose to visit a destination, as it lets me travel like a local. The insights and opportunities to explore untouched places comes in abundance. Plus, i don’t get to worry about my living arrangements, as they are taken care of by my volunteer placement agency.

You can read more about volunteer traveling in my other articles and guidebooks, for now let’s bring our focus back to Kerala.

During my 5 weeks’ stay, i had the opportunity to explore the state to the best of my potential. I took advisory from the local coordinator (appointed by my placement agency) for the best places to visit and activities to do during my free time; which was mostly over the weekends.

Since, it was only the weekends (48 hours) that i used to get to explore and travel around the state, i did a compilation of some of the most recommended things to do while on a volunteer trip (or a regular one as well) to Kerala in just 48 hours.

Surreal view of Kerala backwaters

Backwaters must be the frontline

One of the greatest USPs of Kerala is its backwaters. Lying parallel to the Arabian Sea coast, these backwaters are a chain of brackish lagoons and lakes. Volunteers can enjoy boat rides while getting overwhelmed by the sheer beauty of the nature, spread all around. There are provisions of house boats as well, which can be booked for a unique living experience and spending an entire weekend enjoying the sail. This will take you to some of the most gorgeous villages in Kerala to witness a typical Malayali lifestyle.

 

Experience the tranquility of Ayurveda

India has provided the world with some of the best treasures of life; Ayurveda is one of them. Doing volunteer work for an entire stretch of weeks can drain out the energy and make you feel lethargic. Experiencing the magic of ayurveda is what you’ll most certainly be in the need for. Kerala is the epicenter for ayurveda treatments and therapies in India, and one can find some of the best and most authentic ayurveda treatments here. This is going to beat every and any kind of spa, you may have taken in your lifetime, by a huge margin.


Ancient Ayurveda Therapy

Witness the classical and traditional performances

The best thing about a volunteer travel to any country is that it lets you witness the core traditions and culture of that place. When volunteering in Kerala, you can exploit this opportunity to witness some of the best arts of South India that are worldwide popular. This includes the meticulous dance form of Kathakali and Theyyam, as well as the skills and techniques of original martial arts (India is the birthplace of martial arts). Kathakali is a one of the major forms of classical dance in India, a "story play" genre of art, distinguished by its elaborately colorful make-up, costumes and face masks wearing actor-dancers, who have traditionally been all males. Theyyam, on the other hand, is a popular ritual form of worship.



Visit the tea gardens

Located at the confluence of three lush green mountains, at an elevation of around 1600 mtrs above sea level, is one of the most beautiful hill stations in India (and possibly the world); Munnar. One thing that is the most popular about this hill station is its widespread tea gardens, giving the area a green carpet cover look. Munnar can be a great weekend getaway option, as it is centrally located and easily accessible from any part of the Kerala state. You can learn the style of plucking out the tea leaves from the field workers; just in case if you’re looking for an out-of-the-box experience.




Explore the historic Fort Kochi

It all started for me from this place. The volunteer program i was working at was located in the city of Kochi. The accommodation provided to us by the placement agency was in the Fort Kochi area, which makes it inevitable to mention this colonial wonder. The first ever European township in India, Fort Kochi offers some of the best heritage sites from the Portuguese and Dutch era. The best way to explore and enjoy the city is on foot. Take a walk through the subliminal lanes to visit some of the best places in the area; such as Fort Immanuel, Dutch Cemetery, Vasco Da Gama square, Parade Ground, Chinese fishnets, and a lot more. You may not even want to go anywhere else once you start exploring the Fort Kochi area. Ready to bring out the Forrest Gump in you!?


Sunset view through Chinese fishnets

Enjoy the many beaches

Resting along the coastlines formed by the Arabian Sea, Kerala is a hub of some of the best beaches in India. Kovalam and Varkala are few known tourist places to enjoy some beach time. The beaches in Kerala are mostly all palm fringed and provide enough space to have your own time. Even with hundreds of people around at the same time, you could feel the silence and the sounds of waves hitting the shore. Try the refreshing coconut water, fresh from the trees, that would go well with your time at the beach.



So when are you visiting this God’s own country? If you are looking for more details about volunteering in Kerala or how to arrange the trip, just drop in your messages in the comment box below and i’ll be glad to help. Namastey!

Tags: india, kerala, things to do, travel tips, volunteer travel

 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.