Existing Member?

Volunteer Abroad

6 Ways To Travel Like A Thai When Volunteering in Thailand

THAILAND | Wednesday, 6 July 2016 | Views [339]

Thailand is a popular and one of the most visited tourist destinations in the world; that is a fact. Unfortunately, many miss out on the opportunity to make the most of their travel in Thailand, just because they are unaware of the ‘secrets’. What ‘secrets’, you ask? Well, it’s how you can travel like a Thai, truly, and experience local living.

Volunteering in Thailand is one of the best ways to travel like a local. However, even while volunteering, there are certain measures and methods you can apply to fit-in with the native lifestyle and experience the land of smile in the best way possible.

Here are 6 such ways to travel like a Thai when volunteering in Thailand.



Use a tuk-tuk for local commutation

 

Tuk-tuks can be considered as an important life-line of Thailand’s local transport. When in Bangkok, these three-wheeled autos are what will take you to your destination in a jiffy and at a lowest possible price. What you get through this is the experience of how the locals commute, exploring the narrow lanes of the city, and an opportunity to interact with others (that’s if you’re not an introvert) and understand a basic regular lifestyle of a common-man in Thailand.



Volunteer with Elephants in Thailand

If there is one thing for which Thailand is globally known for, apart from its palm-fringed beaches, is  their love, affection, and reverence for elephants. The national animal of Thailand, elephants keep a very special place in a local Thai lifestyle. So, in order to live like a Thai, one of the very first things you need to get acquainted with are elephants. A good way to achieve this could be through elephant volunteering in Thailand. Volunteering for elephants in Thailand will allow you to spend quality time with these giant mammals and get close to them.



Learn to cook authentic Pad Thai

A true representative of Thai cuisine, if there could be one, is the delicious Pad Thai. One of the commonly recommended dishes to try in Thailand, Pad Thai, comes in different forms of preparations. This is mainly a fried rice noodle delicacy that can found at most of the street food joints and fast food restaurants in Thailand. While doing volunteer work in Thailand, you can always get recipe tips for making the original Pad Thai from a local contact. Taking up this skill will make you feel one of their own.



Take train journeys to travel the interiors

Thailand’s natural diversity is mind blowing. It’s not just restricted to the series of palm fringed beaches, but, also, includes lush green mountains and dense tropical forest areas; a sheer delight to your senses. Traveling intercities through railways in Thailand will take you to some of the most scenic routes and remote places that will reflect the native Thai lifestyle.



Spend time at with monks

Buddhism is the majorly followed religion in Thailand; 95% of the population follow Theravada Buddhism. One can find a plethora of buddhist monasteries and pagodas in almost every city and town in the country; especially in Chiang Mai. You would want to give a visit to some of these monasteries, and not just a tourist hop, but a proper visit where you can spend time with the monks. Learn about the religion’s philosophy and roots. Learning about the basics of buddhism is one of the key elements to get close to a typical Thai life.



Smile!

It’s not for nothing that Thailand is fondly termed as the ‘Land of Smiles’. This is an undeniable fact that Thai people are extremely hospitable, and no matter even if you’re just crossing someone on the streets, and share a glare, you’d get a warm smile in return. After all, giving a smile to someone will not cost a dime, neither will it take any effort off you. Be like a Thai, and smile whenever you meet or greet someone; you’ll be accepted as one of their own.

Tags: elephant volunteer program in thailand, travel like a thai, volunteering in thailand

 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.