Existing Member?

Volunteer Abroad

6 Surprising Things you’ll Discover Volunteering in Ghana

GHANA | Tuesday, 23 June 2015 | Views [431]

Traveling to a new destination is akin to experiencing new things; and the same goes with Ghana, “The Golden Child of Africa”. However, sometimes we find something about a destination that is not just fascinatingly new, but downright surprising and astonishing. Add some surprising discoveries you may make about yourself, while volunteering in Ghana and the entire trip turns informatively rejuvenating.

Those who have volunteered in Ghana, may have experienced this; for those who haven’t as yet, here is a list of 6 surprising discoveries you’ll make, some about the destination and some about yourself, while volunteering in Ghana;  

 

You never knew you had this much perseverance

VolSol_Ghana_Teaching

Handling a class of 20-30 kids from the age group of 7-13 asks for a lot of patience. You may have thought of yourself as a short tempered person, before you took that first class under the Teaching Program in Ghana.

 

Sleeping till late hours on a weekend is NOT a good idea

Soon after joining your volunteer project in Ghana, you’ll realize that you no more want to sleep till late even on a weekend. I mean, who would want to miss out spending even a single minute of the day that can otherwise be utilized to explore more.  

 

Fork and spoons are hardly used to eat food

People in Ghana eat with their hands. Yes! You read that absolutely correct. And mind you, there’s nothing unhygienic in that. In fact, you kind of enjoy your meal more. You’ll know when you’ll do.           

 

People are enthusiastic about almost everything… even the kids!

VolSol_Ghana_Volunteer Program

Life is all about living it to the fullest, and Ghanaians probably know it the best. Give them a reason to celebrate, even a miniscule one, and they will take with both hands.  You’ll realize this fact soon after joining any of the different volunteer programs available in Ghana.

 

There is a ‘celebration’ attached with funerals

This is one extreme example for the previous point. People in Ghana believe in celebrating life in all forms. Even when a loved one dies, they mark the funeral with token of celebration to signify the amazing life the departed soul had and/or will have in the next life. 

 

The need for cellphones is hardly felt

VolSol_Ghana_Volunteer Program

The importance of gadgets is explicit in today’s digital age, where one Google even to find their socks. However, you’d be surprised by the fact that the projects and other activities are keeping you so occupied that you’d not want to waste time tapping on your phone screen.

 

 

So, what are you waiting for? Pack your bags already and leave to volunteer in Ghana to explore more, learn more, and startle more.

Tags: ghana, travel, volunteer abroad, volunteer programs in ghana

 

 

Travel Answers about Ghana

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.