Existing Member?

The Great Panda Adventures

The three B's: Becky, Brett and Brisbane

AUSTRALIA | Wednesday, 30 January 2013 | Views [502] | Comments [1]

Side Note: I changed the website for my blog! The other one didn’t let me put pictures throughout the post (which I haven't figured out yet! Haha), and I really wanted that feature. It also didn’t notify me if someone made a comment. So I ditched it and now am using another site. I put the other two posts on there in case you want to catch up, or read them again (haha).  I’m sorry I couldn’t keep all your lovely comments. Thank you so much for posting them! 

Our first stop after Sydney was Byron Bay. To get there, we took a knock-off greyhound which was pretty good except for the driver’s obsession with the movie “Wild hogs”. We were forced to watch all the behind the scenes, director’s cuts and then the actual movie before he turned the t.v.s off. I tried to look out the window at the beautiful view, but old washed up actors and their midlife crises were just too distracting.

Anyway, it was really too bad we only had one day in Byron Bay, as the hostel we stayed in was just wonderful. It felt like we were at a beach cottage. It was above a dive centre and right near the beach and the downtown area. And by “downtown area” I mean, the three or four strips of beach shops, live music bars and backpacker havens. We spent the whole day on the beach, got our first REAL sunburns and checked out the nightlife for a bit.

We continued our trip the next morning to Brisbane, where we were staying with Becky, Jake’s highschool bestie, and her Australian fiancé, Brett. They live in a suburb just outside of the City Business District, in a part of town called Ascot. As I said earlier, we spent a lot of time being lazy, playing cards, reading and just hanging out but made sure to get to the city a couple times.

Brisbane is really unique because it is separated by a river that snakes through the whole city. Each time we wanted to go to the city we would take the “City Cat”, which was a ferry that will take you to different parts of the city. It was such a cool way to travel!

While in Brisbane, we hung out at South Bank, where there is a man-made beach in the centre and colourful walkways. We also walked to Kangaroo point and saw a great view of the city, went up a giant ferris wheel, went to an art gallery, and hung out in the Botanic gardens. We also checked out Chinatown and the local market.

We were also lucky to have been in Australia for Australia Day, where we tried to conceal our Canadian accents while we watched cockroach races and listened to a live band play music we had never heard. It was lots of fun and pretty comparable to Canada day minus the fire works.

Lastly, it was really great to hang out with Becky and Brett. They are super cool and I’m glad to have got to know them. Next time I see them will be at there wedding, which is pretty exiting too!

 

Now I am just waiting for our plane to board for Singapore! 

Comments

1

Sounds like you are combining sightseeing and relaxing time nicely. Loved your stories about Australia, and look forward to the Singapore chapter!

  Heather Roth Jan 30, 2013 6:43 PM

About nnninecountries


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.