Existing Member?

2explore.net We are Niels and Amy van Dongen and this is our journey. Our home site is http://www.2explore.net. On February 16, 2007 we will leave behind the comforts of our home in Seattle to travel through the South Pacific. On this site you can follow along with us, read about our experiences and view some of the photos we have taken en route. Our insatiable urge to explore, sparked the idea for this adventure. In October of 2005, we had a taste of the South Pacific on a 3-week trip to the Cook Islands and have ever since wanted to go back to immerse ourselves in the South Pacific way of life and record our experiences. With many ecosystems at risk from pollution, global warming and climate change, this is now especially critical. We aim to capture the true character of the idyllic South Pacific through photographs and words in a way that makes any observer of our work feel a connection to this special place and in turn, join us in making simple choices in everyday life that can have positive, lasting effects on the world around us. For a year we will be living as modern nomads – traveling only with what we can carry in our packs, living amongst the locals on the islands we visit, spending time sharing stories and experiences and taking in the captivating underwater world on the occasional dive. We hope to help others along the way and keep a vivid record of this adventure to share with you, and keep at the forefront of our memory. Follow along with us and learn about far away places of natural beauty and rich cultures. Experience with us the big world we call home.

DAY 289 Across the Mountains

NEW ZEALAND | Tuesday, 18 December 2007 | Views [607]

After leaving the Marlborough Sounds, we made our way Southeast. Clouds appeared as we approached Kaikoura where we needed to stop for the night. Just as the tent was wedged between two camper vans, the clouds broke open and it poured. A terrible night was had, mostly because the campground was far too overcrowded and of course the pouring rain was a factor as well. We just wanted to turn around and drive a full day back to the Marlborough Sounds! Bright and early we woke to clear skies and quickly bolted out of the campground heading inland for the foothills of the Southern Alps.

Our next stop was the resort town of Hanmer Springs. First, we went out of our way to find the quietest of the five campgrounds and the one most likely overlooked by the hoards of campervans. We found a nice spot and after setting up the tent, had tea and lunch enjoying the peace while overly curious birds came and sat right next to our plates hoping for a nibble! The afternoon ended with a walk to the lookout over town and the surrounding hills. Of course, a visit to Hanmer Springs would not be complete without a visit to the springs themselves, so in the evening we went to sit in the hot pools after the crowds had dwindled. Expecting a chic atmosphere in a forested setting, as eluded to on the glossy brochures and advertisements, we were a bit disappointed to find it rather bland, botched together and dated. Nonetheless, we enjoyed hopping from pool to pool until we could end the evening in our own private hot pool courtesy of a free upgrade coupon I plucked from a magazine weeks ago just in case!

Via the alpine sports town of Methven and the friendly, farming town of Geraldine (whose claim to fame is the world’s largest jersey) we ended up at Lake Tekapo. After setting up camp, we walked up to the top of Mt. John. At the observatory at the top, we enjoyed a cappuccino and ginger beer at what must be the most brilliant café location in the whole of New Zealand.

We thought Lake Tekapo was electric blue until we caught sight of Lake Pukaki the next day. The brightness was surreal. Because of this striking beauty, we made very slow progress around the lake as I had to stop the car a LOT because Niels wanted to take many pictures of course. Late in the afternoon we stopped at the DOC campground in Mount Cook National Park. We pitched our tent in a valley flanked by sheer mountain cliff faces and glaciers – quite a fantastic location, further enhanced by the hiking trails that radiated out from the camp. The next day we took the track to the Sealy Tarns. The hike was exhausting but provided expansive views.

Central Otago, one of our favorite wine regions, was next up on our route. Breathtakingly beautiful scenery continued, this time varied by the presence of pastures (paddocks as they say here in NZ) filled with Merino sheep. At one point on the drive, our car became completely engulfed in a sea of sheep as a farmer was moving his sizeable herd. It was one of those moments pictured on a post card that we didn’t think occurred much anymore – what a nice, albeit crazy, surprise! The drive ended as we drove through Cromwell and into tiny Bannockburn. We pulled off the main route and into a winery that we enjoyed on our last visit to NZ. A tasting later, we sat with a bottle of rosé in the winery’s quiet garden under a cloudless sky and hot sun, just as we like it. In the evening, we popped into the local pub for a simple meal before retiring to our tent at a nearly empty campground. What a lovely day it had been.

Tags: On the Road

About niels_and_amy


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.