Existing Member?

2explore.net We are Niels and Amy van Dongen and this is our journey. Our home site is http://www.2explore.net. On February 16, 2007 we will leave behind the comforts of our home in Seattle to travel through the South Pacific. On this site you can follow along with us, read about our experiences and view some of the photos we have taken en route. Our insatiable urge to explore, sparked the idea for this adventure. In October of 2005, we had a taste of the South Pacific on a 3-week trip to the Cook Islands and have ever since wanted to go back to immerse ourselves in the South Pacific way of life and record our experiences. With many ecosystems at risk from pollution, global warming and climate change, this is now especially critical. We aim to capture the true character of the idyllic South Pacific through photographs and words in a way that makes any observer of our work feel a connection to this special place and in turn, join us in making simple choices in everyday life that can have positive, lasting effects on the world around us. For a year we will be living as modern nomads – traveling only with what we can carry in our packs, living amongst the locals on the islands we visit, spending time sharing stories and experiences and taking in the captivating underwater world on the occasional dive. We hope to help others along the way and keep a vivid record of this adventure to share with you, and keep at the forefront of our memory. Follow along with us and learn about far away places of natural beauty and rich cultures. Experience with us the big world we call home.

DAY 283 Marlborough Sounds of Silence

NEW ZEALAND | Friday, 30 November 2007 | Views [655]

Under a clear blue sky and blinding sun, we drove the narrow, winding coastline from Picton to the Marlborough Sounds, intending to pay a visit to a friend and relax for a few days. En route we frequently pulled over, lured by the occasional glimpses of the twinkling turquoise waters, for the chance to catch a view through the bush out onto the sound below. With little traffic and time on our side, we meandered until reaching our destination close to Portage Bay where we settled in and caught up with our friend, Craig. As Craig is quite a keen fisherman, we went out to try our hand at catching some bait fish. I haven't fished since using a Mickey Mouse fishing pole and Niels is even more inexperienced so we thought all we would catch would be sideways glances and fits of laughter but, we managed to catch a few spotties. (They are not good for anything and ended up right back in the water but we were just happy to catch something!)

The next few days passed quite uneventfully but blissfully nonetheless. We really needed to just stop driving around so much and setting the tent up and taking it down every day and just relax. Since the sun was shining so brilliantly, and it was so peacefully quiet except for the many birdsongs, we had no trouble finding a spot on the deck and settling in. We started concentrating on soaking up the sun and finishing the latest books we have been reading. Neither one of us was very good at sitting still and not doing much but this trip has really worn us down and loosened us up overall and now we are so happy to just sit and do next to nothing. Having said that, there are many opportunities for hikes in this region and Niels has spent a few afternoons exploring parts of the Queen Charlotte track and taking pictures on the way while I have been spoiled with a well equipped kitchen and using it to full advantage.

After a few days, we decided to mix up our regimen a bit and drive into the Marlborough wine region to pay a visit to some wineries. Having received some recommendations on which ones to hit, we stopped in and had tastings at four of them and returned late in the day with quite a bounty. It has been very warm, in the 80's, which makes sipping a dry Riesling or Sauvignon Blanc absolutely fitting. Lately, I have had some more luck with fishing and caught a snapper and kowhai, and Niels caught a blue cod so we could pair the wine with the food. Oh, this is the life!

What started out to be a few days turned into a week in the Marlborough Sounds. We're off soon but hope to try our hand at more fishing before we head down the East coast and into the Southern Alps. For now, it's back to enjoying the sun and sounds of silence...plus the birds.

Tags: Relaxation

About niels_and_amy


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.