Existing Member?

Wanderings

Day One: "Paristoric"

FRANCE | Monday, 26 November 2007 | Views [980] | Comments [1]

Metro Station Used: Métro Chaussée d'Antin

Today (monday 26th still!) we caught a bus to the closest metro station. It's only two stops away - in Melbourne we wouldn't bother waiting th 20+ minutes for an unreliable bus - we'd just walk. But in Sevres, the buses come on a regular, reliable basis! Then from Métro Pont de Sevres we took the 'metro' to the above station. The metro is like an underground train - although with no airconditioning, graffiti everywhere etc. But then the trains are rarely late and come every five minutes even at non-peak-hour times. Ana commented that she's prefer trains on time and regularly than trains with airconditioning. I'm not too sure - in the summer, i know i get very frustrated when Connex puts the old trains on the Broady line.
Once we arrived... wow. I'm uploading the photos now... these buidlings are absolutely amazing. We just walked past them on our way to a little cinema type place called Paristoric - it did a "Paris Story" with a series of quotes and basically explaining the urban history and development of Paris as a city. It used some beautiful images, quotes etc and explained the Parisian 'walls' better than Sylvia ever had in her many hours of trying to explain it to us.
Am slightly concerned recently - mainly that with so many people who speak english (many of the staff here prefer not to hear us murder their language so insist on speaking to us in english) - that i'm not getting the language aspect of this course down. Although i was proud of myself that i totally understood the film. Hopefully when classes start (tomorrow) i will be more immersed n it won't matter i talk to people in class.
Mum: it was 6 degrees when i arrived this morning, and 9 degrees when we went to Paris. I have to tell you - i was quite warm.
We went to a "hypermarché" (a really big supermarket) and i bought myself some shampoo and conditioner, as well as some diet coke which i'm putting on my window shelf to cool it so i can drink it in the morning. Also bought some bread n lollies.
The amount of palaces that were built in or surrounding paris in the past few centuries is quite astonishing. it seems like each public servant has their own castle as a residence!
we're about to go down for a hot-chocolate. I'm worried about something but i can't remember what.
Thanks for the comments ma famille. PLease look after jed lovingly. i miss my boy so much!

Tags: Culture

Comments

1

public servants gets castles? i think the same should be implemented in Australia (you know, for those aspiring public servants!)
Your little room that you put on facebook looks rad! so "little paris" type of thing!
i think u should reject the nay-sayers of the language and tu dois parles la francais comme une vache espaignole (sp)! lol
Jed is good...he needs a spanking.....he's chewing on walls!!
when will it be freeezing? lol
ttyl...btw: get some photos of you in the snaps!

  Bess Nov 27, 2007 10:10 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.