Existing Member?

Nicola and Christopher's Grand Adventure! This is a little story of our 3 month journey through, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia. We hope that you (our friends and family) enjoy reading about our trip!

Jungle, Jerantut and something else begining with J

MALAYSIA | Friday, 25 June 2010 | Views [548] | Comments [1]

Well folks, the Davis-Hacon summer tour continues...

We are now in Jerantut en-route to the Perhentian Islands. We are currently waiting for a train to Kota Bharu in the NE of Malaysia, and recovering from a couple of jungle treks through the oldest (150mn years) tropical rain forest in the world, but we get ahead of ourselves... let us back up and fill you in on our adventure to this point.

We departed Melaka after a few days, and getting to witness the Friday night market in China Town. We actually sat outside and had to sample a little fresh satay (yummy, yummy) for some reason, un-beknown to us, there was a karaoke on for three hours on the main stage in Chinatown, viewable and audible from our hotel room... we have no idea what the 30-50 year old singers were singing but they were... it all wrapped up around 10:30, much to our dismay. It is reassuring or sad, depending on your persuasion, to know that you can buy the same kind of tat on street markets here as easily as you can in the UK. Although we have yet to see someone who holds the world record for breaking coconuts with his (now mangled) finger and selling snake oil in the process. Fascinating stuff.

We got a bus easily enough to KL only to find that the central bus station opposite our bed for the night was closed for a refurbishment and we were unceremoniously dumped someone on the outskirts of the city, yikes. After a little tet-a-tet among our illustrious selves we negotiated the disparate rail network and found our hotel, which we are sure was a former brothel... The room was fab, i.e. it had a/c and an en-suite. In fact for the money it was great and the staff v. helpful. We even got a view of the Petronas Towers, well half of them.

KL was interesting, again a huge contrast between the poor and wealthy and the shopping malls sell all the Western goods you could want. Nice for a quick a/c break none the less. We spent the second day in KL attempting and succeeding in getting to the Batu Caves a hindu shrine in a huge cave complex about 20 mins from the centre of the city. This 20 min journey actually took us somewhere in the region of 3hours as we navigated the various forms of transport available to us, silly, silly, silly. But we got there in the end, just in time for the heavens to open (as it does) and promptly rain for 2hours... we hid out in a little restoran and grabbed some nosh, v. yummy, played cards (can't remember who won) and used the toilets (the joys of squat toilets - but that is enough of that). The journey back from the caves was easily enough, we waited under an underpass and flagged down the 11 bus... how simple is that?

And that was KL for us... now for a little bit about our Jungle Trek... allegedly you have to go to Taman Negara when you are in Malaysia, it is the largest national parks here. We were under no illusion that we would be seeing Elephants (200 +/-) or Tigers (about the same number) as they do their best to stay away from the park HQ that we were staying near (or hoped to). We caught two buses, and then the highlight of the journey, a sampan (small boat with an outboard) up to Kuala Tahan. 3 hours on the river was v. v. cool, although the boat load of tourists made us think that v. few locals travel this way. Well by the time we reached Kuala Tahan our bums were numb and we were unable to walk, making the rush from the boat to get some accomodation all the more fun, but it is all part of the experience.

The jungle walks were great, we went out both days and promptly sweat half our body weight away, we have decided to go into business when we return to the UK, forget Atkins, Weight Watchers or Jenny Craig, a week walking in the jungle is enough for anyone to lose weight... check out www.fatpeopleinthejungle.com, sorry, www.weightchallengedpeopleinthejungle.com for more details!

The accomodation was spartan and Christopher was bitten by every insect imaginable but he hardly complained (yeah right). Nicola's lovely heat rash that she developed in KL has subsided, heaps of compaining about it though (ok, not really). The cows that were scared silly by the storm last night, the a/c unit, the crickets and the rain make for a cacophony of noise, which means one doesn't sleep. We ate our meals at the small restaurants on the river with amazing views of the rainforest. It was quite something to hike in the place with nobody about and the densest forest we have ever seen.

Well that is about it for now folks, trying to keep this short and give you a little flavour of what is going on and more importantly to let you know we are still alive after a couple of weeks. So much else has happened but we won't bore you with the details, those can wait until we get to see you!!

off to catch a train...

Comments

1

Sounds like loads of fun--looking forward to more pictures. Be safe.

  Glenn Jun 28, 2010 11:20 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Malaysia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.