Existing Member?

Nicola and Christopher's Grand Adventure! This is a little story of our 3 month journey through, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia. We hope that you (our friends and family) enjoy reading about our trip!

Tesco, temps and tri-shaws in Malacca

MALAYSIA | Thursday, 17 June 2010 | Views [314] | Comments [1]

Well folks, for those of you who are interested we have reached Malaysia, yes, it would appear that they do allow the likes of Christopher into countries like this. It was touch and go at the border for a while (actually it wasn't, we sailed through). Christopher actually had his photo taken using a new immigration card dispenser, no doubt to be used in promotional/information in the future, be sure to look out for it when you are next crossing from Singapore to Malaysia.

Singapore was an interesting place, the most affluent country on our trip. We stayed in Little India, and it was like Brick Lane on steroids, a sensory explosion. We got to see why the country is so green with more rain than we have ever seen, well almost as much as you get on the West Coast of New Zealand or Scotland. I think we would highly recommend Singapore to any of the olds looking for a long stopover on there way too/from UK/NZ, there is enough to see and keep you engaged for a week at least, and the public transport is quite impressive. Food isn't bad either, chicken tikka masala for UK 1.75 / NZ$ 4, take note Mumma H. Nicola has been suitably adventurous on the food front, Christopher less so.

Christopher would like to point out that the maps in Singapore are challenging, Nicola just thinks he can't tell the difference between his left and his right. There was a wee incident that involved walking for 10-15 mins up a street only to find out that they were going the wrong way... the word idiot boy sprang to mind.

The temps have been hot, hot, hot. It is almost ten p.m. and it still feels like 34c, it makes a refreshing change but can be tough going when you are loaded up with all those books Christopher insists on carrying etc.

We are in Malaka for a couple of nights, staying in a great B&B in the heart of the old China town, our room literally overlooks the night market that will be here tomorrow. We are hoping to get some beach time on Saturday as there is a relatively remote island off the coast here we are going to try to get to. Malaysia is definitely a poorer country in terms of GDP and this has been noticable as we have travelled up to Malaka today. English isn't as prevalent as Singapore but most folks we have come across speak it, not that they can understand Christopher. We were dissapointed to see on our arrival a monster Tesco superstore next to the bus station, go figure... all this after Marks and Spencer, Accessorize, Levi etc. etc. in Singapore.
 
One last thing, please note the tri-shaws (Melaka is supposedly one of the few places left in Malaysia that still has them) all kitted out with flowers and lights, they even come with sound systems (we are trying to negotiate a purchase, it would definitely be an upgrade on the London tube or other modes of commuting in London).

 

Comments

1

Thanks for the update guys - sounds great - very envious ;-). You could pop into out factory in Shah Alam......or perhaps not?! Just been to Berlin for a few days - manged to persuade Sarah to stroll down Karl Marx Allee where they used to have all the May Day military parades - go on beat that 'Marx nerd'! ;-) - oh and also Rosa Luxemburg Strasse - Haha! seriously though - have a safe onward journey - keep the updates coming and look forward to seeing you both in blighty!

  Dr. S Jun 19, 2010 2:07 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Malaysia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.