Existing Member?

Star-Spangled Blogger

Oklahoma's Odyssey

USA | Sunday, 30 January 2011 | Views [216]

Apparently some famous guy in history made some long trek and got a book out of it. I am pretty sure our trip along Route 66 is also worthy of the same treatment.

So as we left Tulsa we began the journey along that famous road where you are supposed to get your kicks. I didn't see anyone playing soccer, but I'm a tourist, so what do I know. One important rule was instigated on the drive of the most American road there is - if Bruce "The Boss" Springsteen was to appear on my ipod, the song must be listened to. I dubbed it: 'The Springsteen Effect'. A good rule of thumb in general, but one that in this instance would result in immediate dismissal from the vehicle if ignored.

The first significant stop along the road was at the very first "66" sign we saw. We pulled over and put our hazard lights on - both to let people know about our car being stationary, and to warn them we were tourists taking photos in front of a pole. The second stop left me speechless, I mean what other reaction do you have when you see the world's largest "soda pop" (soft drink for those playing at home). After having what I think is the world's best roadside burger, I instigated a challenge to America to better this effort. Several diners later, this still hasn't happened.

I have learnt several things along this historic drive. The tendency for Americans to put flags everywhere has not decreased. I suggest to Prime Minister Julia we have oversize Australian flags at fifty metre intervals along Australian highways post-haste. I have also learnt that American skill-testers are rigged. To that little hillbilly diner with its waitress who had "just got off the phone with her lawyer"... I hope you enjoy the eight quarters you took from me. Also, if you could ease up a smidge on the scary clientele, and the green tractor-themed country music, I would really appreciate it.

We also stopped off at the Route 66 Museum, which was an incredibly quaint look at the history of a very long stretch of road. I think the greatest thing about the road is the service station attendants; they were all so nice and very willing to help out a confused Aussie with which was the correct nozzle. I am now a master at this! My one complaint about the road itself: the speed limit. If there was a bit more to see I might enjoy going that slowly. My suggestion - the speed limit should be a convenient total of 66!

When we arrived at Oklahoma we spent a day taking in two important museums: which were, how should I say, at very different ends of the spectrum. The first was the Cowboy Museum, which was not as scary as it sounds. It was actually quite an interesting and leather-laden look at American history. Again however the photos prove we really should have never been let out of the country.

The second museum was the memorial to the Oklahoma bombing. Walking around the site you could already feel the enormity of what had occurred, but that was only exemplified once we went inside. The tour starts with an actual audio recording from a meeting of a building opposite the tragedy. From the moment of the haunting sound of the explosion, through the stories of tragedy, pain and heroics I barely drew breath. Tears were shed, and I left incredibly moved. Well done Oklahoma on a beautiful tribute to a terrible event.

We left Oklahoma the next day and many hours later arrived in a small town in Texas. That night we got into our limo and headed for dinner. What's that? That needs a bit of explaining? Well basically we were going to drive to the Texas Ranch House, but when they found out we were coming they offered to give us a limo - complete with bull horns! Ok, there may be a bit more detail to that story, but I choose to omit it. As we entered the restaurant, laden with animal heads, we dubbed it the "Room of Death" and wondered if they were ever going to stop looking at us. A wise decision not to take the giant steak challenge later, as well as drinking out of a boot and being serenaded by cowboys and cowgirls, we made our way back to the hotel. Oh yes, we were in the limo again.

So that about brings us up-to-date. We declined further limo offers and hit the road in Frosty again. Next stop is that big hole they like to call the Grand Canyon.

Miss you all, and shall blog again soon.

Peace out, y'all xoxo

About new-york-nicks


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.