Existing Member?

Just drifting by

Easter in Québec

CANADA | Tuesday, 25 March 2008 | Views [1045]

Some poeple would ask me how easter look like here and if it's the rabbit who brings the chocolat eggs.. Yes it is the rabbit... Probably a snow-white one as I haven't seen him...

For the weekend, I went with my friend Bruno and his girlfriend France to his father's woodhouse surrounded by a hell of snow!! We were supposed to open the sugar-shack (Cabane à sucre in english) but there was still way to much snow... :o(

We did the best out of it and did some snow-shoeing, a couple of fights in the snow, some sledging right in front of the house and to make us remember that it's supposed to be the time of "cabane à sucre", Bruno's father cut into one of the maple trees ... but it was really still too cold. In normal conditions he would cut into 800 trees on his territory!! Bruno told me when you are laying in bed you can hear the liquid falling in the buckets everywhere... One more reason to come back sometime!

In the evening Ben and Marie-Eve came around to make some "tire" which is also made out of maple (of course!!). It's slightly thicker then syrup but much more liquid than the maple butter. In normal time you would heat it in a special machine called "champion" (because of the brand!) but due to the unusual circonstances Ben came with a little bottle of it and heat it in a pot. And then we went outside and made lines of this liquid on the snow, wait a couple of seconds to make it get a little harder and then... roll it on a wooden stick and eat it!!! Yummi stuff I tell you!

Beside that we had an amazing amount of food for 2 days, lots of beer and had a lot of extremely deep conversations ;o)!!

Just a perfect weekend full of laughters!

And by the way it is not really fun to get out in the morning to reach the outhouse with -10C (France even experienced a couple of hours earlier -20C). You think twice before going to the loo! 

Tags: cabane à sucre, maple, raquette, snow, snow shoewing, sugar shack

About natha


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.