Existing Member?

Miss Bootsie On Tour I haven't seen it all ... but I'm giving it my best shot :)

I <3 Beijing Baby!

CHINA | Sunday, 4 December 2011 | Views [801]

Well There Ain't No Party Like The Communist Party, Cos The Communist Party... Runs A Very Efficient And Enjoyable City.

Sometime way back in July I got a nice little surprise in my tax return. I decided then and there, that some of that money should go towards a trip from Hanoi to Beijing. After all, you only live once, and I didn't know when I would next find myself close enough to China to take such a trip. If I was close enough to see The Great Wall of China, and I still had the money in the bank, I would never forgive myself for missing it.


When? Well I guessed it would be towards the end of my trip, at that vague section after I'd made my way up the coast of Vietnam, but before I was ready to come home to Perth. With no firm plans on a flight home I was a little unsure... early to mid December maybe?


I remember my father's exact words. 'Beijing in December? You'll need some warm clothes because it'll be bloody cold!' Well Tommy Boots, you were right. It was bloody cold. I took his advice and bought a jacket before I left Hanoi, and I will be forever grateful for my fathers advice. :)


I landed in Beijing in the late afternoon and passed easily through Chinese immigration with a smile. I had expected them to be stern and officious, but they were friendly and pleasant. The first of many preconceived notions to be shattered.


I exited the terminal and was immediately shocked and delighted by the snapping cold. Hanoi had been a muggy 35 degrees Celsius, Beijing was a very crisp 10 degrees. After almost five months of sweltering humidity in south east Asia, it was a refreshing change to feel cold. On the taxi ride to my hostel I gazed out the window at the clean highways, soviet style apartment blocks and highway signs written entirely in Chinese characters. How strange and foreign everything seemed, and yet at the same time it seemed so much more like home than the messy, crowded, hot, bubbling streets of Hanoi.


I had expected a huge, noisy city, with vast sections of 'old town' crammed in near huge skyscrapers and a vibrant CBD. Instead there were neatly spaced, mid level, apartment blocks and block after block of clean and tidy, low level commercial buildings. The whole place seemed so sterile and clean compared to the mess and excitement of south east Asia.


Then suddenly the landscape started to change and there were cafes, bookshops, pedestrians, food carts and music all around the taxi. Traffic seemed to emerge from nowhere and the taxi was slowed to a crawl. Everywhere I looked there were cafes and bars. The taxi driver pulled over and motioned to a side street, ' hotel over there.' I paid the fare and tried to ask how far down that street the hostel was... but I had exhausted his use of English. I stepped out of the warm taxi into the cold wind, strapped my pack on and headed off in search of the Beijing Downtown Backpackers.


As I walked down the hutong towards the hostel I was amazed by the array of funky clothing stores, gift shops selling ironic and kitsch communist propaganda souvenirs, music stored blasting modern music... 'cool' alternative western music??? And then there was the food. Coffee shop after coffee shop, little hole in the wall kiosks selling huge shish kebabs, huge restaurants serving entire Chinese banquets, tiny restaurants serving rice and basics, western cafes, churros covered in steaming hot fudge, a food cart selling... something, and a shop called 'Mr Beard', the logo was a cartoon faced old man with a fisherman’s hat and a snowy white beard, that only sold eclairs ( or giant profiteroles in my opinion). So random. So wonderful.


Once I found the hostel I quickly dumped my bag in the dormitory and practically ran back out into the Hutong to explore. Everywhere I turned there were amazing smells wafting around, groups of young, trendy Chinese kids laughing and milling about, and music filtering across the top of it all. I immediately loved the neighborhood. I spent the evening wandering through the local hutongs, snacking, shopping and soaking in all the sights. I also took the opportunity to buy gloves, a scarf and a cardigan from one of the many women who had set up an impromptu night market along the street selling cold weather gear. Night set in, the wind picked up and the temperature dropped to about 4 degrees. It was too bloody cold for a Perth girl.


The next day I teamed up with Hannah and Ollie, fellow Aussies from my dorm, to catch the subway out to the Summer Palace. Catching the subway in Beijing is an experience in itself. Just when you think nobody else can possibly fir into the carriage, another 25 people manage to cram themselves in. Add to that the amusement of Ollie, a more than 6 foot tall white guy, towering over a carriage full of fascinated Chinese people.


We spent a day wandering about the beautiful gardens and buildings of the Summer Palace. Set on a lake, it was a serene and peaceful place that allowed us to appreciate the beauty of the traditional architecture and the gardens. We also took great delight in laughing at the many many many people wandering the grounds in panda animal hats. They sell them on just about every corner in Beijing and while I'm sure they keep your head and ears warm, they look ridiculous. The sights at the Summer Palace all had names like, ' the garden of utmost harmony and peace' or ' the temple of divine wisdom and serenity.' Towards the end of the day I started to be confused by all the different versions of peace, wisdom, harmony, serenity and truth.


That night a big group from the hostel headed out to find some Peking duck. There was a little lake near the hostel surrounded by a boardwalk full of restaurants. We had been given a card at the hostel and told it was THE place to go for Peking duck, but we couldn't manage to find it ourselves. With not much Cantonese/Mandarin between us, we were very luck to eventually stop an English speaking passer by who was very friendly and escorted us to the restaurant. We had actually walked past it already. Perhaps the giant cartoon duck statue out the front should have been a giveaway. ;) What followed was not only a delicious meal of Peking duck, but a floor show of dancers, jugglers, acrobats and contortionists. Value for money!


Walking home we joined an impromptu tango class being taught on the boardwalk and played a game of shuttlecock hackey sack ( anyone who's been to Vietnam of China knows what I mean). Again I was struck by how fun and vibrant Beijing and its people were.


Early the next morning Ollie and I boarded a minibus to take a day trip to THE GREAT WALL OF CHINA!!! Katie, the uber sporty Canadian girl in our dorm, had opted for a more taxing 6km hike of the wall, but Ollie and I were content with what was described as the 'fun hike' to Mutianyu.


I had explained to Ollie that I was really keen to see the wall, but I also wanted to revel in the cliched tourism of it all. I wanted to watch countless Asian tourists make the peace sign in their photo's at the wall, I wanted to photo bomb their pictures, I wanted to make the peace sign myself, I wanted to watch hundreds of people scurry along after tour guides carrying flags and whistles. I did not want to spend 5 hours running to keep up with Katie and the other uber hikers. Ollie agreed that the 'fun hike' sounded like much more fun.


After 3 hours on the minivan we arrived at Mutianyu, at the foot of the wall. Janet, our guide, explained that we would have 3 hours to walk along the wall before we must be back to meet for lunch and the ride back to Beijing.


We caught the chairlift up ( yes it is that touristy) and started to walk along the top of the wall. It was perfect. Mutianyu is not the section closest to Beijing so while it does attract a lot of tour groups, it is not swarming. Not so many people that you can't get a photo on your own, but enough people that I was able to fulfill my photo bomb desire. ;)


I won't try to explain the wall. I can't do it justice. Just know this; it's awesome and you should go see it sometime. Early in our walk, while we were making good time, I made the glib comment that, ' they give you 3 hours so that even people who are half dead can make it back in time.' We walked to the furthermost tower in our section of the wall and then made it back down to the chairlift with time to spare. At this point we decided to follow the wall up in the other direction, a direction filled with a lot more upward stairs. The walk was hard, but the view was spectacular and certainly well worth the effort. Of course we were 15 min late back to the restaurant ( remember my half dead comment :~), which I could see annoyed Janet. Still, given the choice again I would take THE GREAT WALL OF CHINA!!! over missing the start of lunch.


Eager to make the most of my short time in Beijing, I booked a trip to a Chinese acrobatic show through the hostel for that evening. Wow! I knew it would be good, but I was not prepared for how amazing those Chinese acrobats would be. Jumping through rings with a 20cm diameter that were held over 6 feet high, flying across the stage in flips and bounds that did not look physically possible, hanging from ropes and plunging to within centimeters of the stage, everything they did made my jaw drop. And of course the female acrobats came out with their bicycles and astounded me even more. At one point I swear to god there were about 15 girls balancing on one bike as the rider cycled it around the stage at a great speed. I laughed and smiled so much my face hurt afterward. If you are in Beijing you MUST go and see a Chinese acrobat show!


In the morning I rose early and started a day of hardcore sightseeing. Jingshan Park, Tiananmen Square, The Peoples Monument, The Forbidden City and Beihai Park. It was a day where I got to see the beauty of Beijing's history and the almost fanatical patriotism of its citizens. In Tiananmen Square, with the giant picture of Chairman Mao looming over the square I watched slightly perplexed as Chinese families posed for pictures and beamed as their small children wagged small plastic Chinese flags. I resisted the urge to tap someone, anyone, on the shoulder and say, ' ahem, excuse me, didn't something happen here in 1989?' But the only indication of the Tiananmen Square Massacre comes from the metal detectors and tight security screening you have to pass through in order to center the square. Aside from that, it is as if the death of those protesters never happened.


My final night in Beijing was spent at the Chinese Opera, an event that I was told was a ' must see' while in Beijing. Hmmmmm... what to say about the Chinese Opera. I think it is certainly an acquired taste. The costumes were beautifully crafted, the musicians were very talented and the short martial arts performance in one scene was very entertaining. The plot, not fantastic, and the singing, sometimes hard to listen to. Still, it was something new and now if I ever have the opportunity to see it again I will know that it is not really my taste.


Suddenly it was my last day in Beijing! I got up early and caught a cab to the Lama Temple ( not to be confused with a Llama temple … which I secretly think would have been a bit cooler) to soak up some final bits of Chinese culture. I strolled down the street to the Confucius Temple, but reading the information outside the temple I found that it was actually just a garden full of stone tablets naming students who had studied under Confucius, so I opted not to go in. On my walk back to the hostel I stumbles across a street that was full of old school Chinese medicine men. Literally a whole street full of offices where you can go to see a medicine man for ancient Chinese medicine and I'm assuming some wise advice. As I strolled down the street and peeped into the windows I was delighted to see that each and every one of them was rocking a Fu Manchu mustache!!!


With that I collected my bags, caught a taxi to the airport and flew out of Beijing feeling that I had seen everything I could hope to see in 4 days.





About nadi-boots

Rotto- just so I don't forget what I'm coming home to ;)

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.