Existing Member?

Miss Bootsie On Tour I haven't seen it all ... but I'm giving it my best shot :)

Honeymoon Bomb!!! Adventures in Hanoi, Halong Bay and the Cat Ba Islands

VIETNAM | Sunday, 4 December 2011 | Views [828]

With a late night flight from Hue to Hanoi I decided ( for once) to be organized and book a room in advance so I wouldn't have to wander around a new city after midnight looking for a bed. I found a bargain deal at a four star hotel through agoda.com and landed in Hanoi feeling organized and prepared. Of course my taxi driver got lost and had to stop and ask about six different people for directions :P Still he finally found the Rising Dragon Hotel and I was greeted by the smiling and ever helpful night clerk Coung.


Now I had hardly been slumming it in Vietnam, the rooms were so cheap I hadn't really needed to stay anywhere too dodgy, but my room at The Rising Dragon was so nice I never wanted to leave it!So imagine my disappointment the next day when I asked to book for one more night, and I was told that they were full. Still, Coung helped me sort my visa for China and offered to store some things for me for a week or so. I was placated and went off to find another place to stay.


I spent the day wandering the streets of Hanoi's old town and got myself well and truly lost a few times. Busy and noisy like HCMC, Hanoi had a more friendly and accessible vibe to the place. Even as found myself lost, again, I knew that eventually I would see something that would lead me back to the central landmark, the lake. I was supposed to meet Scott and Jo ( the honeymooners) at the Bamboo guest house at 7pm... but the Lonely Planet map was not matching up with the reality of the streets???? Thank goodness it all worked out in the end and we met up at the right place and at the right time. Despite that sneaky map's best efforts ;)


And so began the honeymoon bomb, my few days in northern Vietnam with the newlyweds Scott and Jo. We explored Hanoi and enjoyed a rooftop dinner overlooking the city. We caught a local bus out to Halong Bay, on which Scott counted a max of 37 people on a 20 seater bus. Due to this squeeze I spent most of the trip with a middle aged Vietnamese guy sitting on my lap, not an exaggeration. We drank too much cheap vodka in Halong City, became obsessed with the idea of singing karaoke and dared each other to purchase gaudy velour track suits at the Halong City Markets. Jo also bought an excellent tea set... which Scott was unimpressed about due to its size, weight and his doubt that she would ever use it. Ladies it must be agreed upon that we all use Jo's tea set at every given opportunity whenever Scott is around so that he will have no reason ever to say, ' I told you so!'


After much research and exploration we chose a company to take a 1 night, 2 day trip through Halong Bay on a Chinese Junk boat. We spent two lovely days sailing, kayaking, fishing, playing drunken games of UNO ( evidently none of us remembered the rules), sunbathing and watching the beautiful scenery pass us by. Jo even got the chance to sing karaoke ( I made a weak attempt) on the boat with some hard partying Chinese businessmen. That's no joke, they slammed into a bottle of vodka at lunch on the first day. Halong Bay is a truly beautiful place. Sadly the smog and haze that surrounds it cannot help but act as a reminder of how badly we are trashing our planet.


We left the boat and headed to Cat Ba Island. I had come down with a bug so I left the honeymooners to explore the beach and go extreme rock climbing while I caught some Zzz. Even if I hadn't been feeling sick I wasn't hugely motivated to haul my fat arse up the side of a cliff. Funnily enough the pamphlet at the rock climbing place had a counter point for every excuse I had for not doing it. Apparently, having no upper body strength, being a bit over weight and being uncomfortable with heights are no good reason to avoid rock climbing. Still, I have a fever and I don't want to do it are good enough reasons to get out of it ;)


Suddenly it was time to head back to Hanoi so Mr and Mrs Haliburton could fly to Kuala Lumpur and I could head off to Beijing. But before we parted company... THE SNAKE CHALLENGE. I had heard from some friends I made whilst traveling in Laos that there was a place in Hanoi where they would kill a snake, remove its beating heart and let one of your group eat the heart. Scott had also heard about this, and he was very keen.


We got the concierge at my hotel ( I was able to book in and stay at The Rising Dragon again <3) to arrange a taxi to take us to and from the snake restaurant for a reasonable price. The three of us entered the building, climbed the stairs and took a seat at a table in the empty restaurant. I wasn't even eating the snake and I was jumping out of my skin with nerves.


What followed was one of the most disgusting, fascinating, nauseating and funny experiences ever. A very calm Vietnamese guy came out, pulled a roughly 1 meter long snake out of a hessian sack, slit its throat, sliced it's belly open and removed its heart. The heart, still beating, was put into a shot glass filled with vodka. The man set to work draining the snakes blood into a bottle and then once he was finished he drained its lime green stomach bile into another bottle. I don't handle blood and gore too well so all of this left me feeling pretty squeamish.


Scott and Jo both took a shot of the snakes blood, Scott tried the snake bile and then... finally... Scott drank the shot with the snake heart in it. He tried valiantly, but even Scotty couldn't swallow the still beating heart of that snake. We were then presented with about 7 courses of food all prepared with the remaining parts of the snake. I tried a little bit, but to be honest I was struggling not to be ill after all the blood, stomach bile and heart action. What can I say, I'm a princess at heart.


After all that Jo and I decided a stiff drink was in order. We headed to a bar named, The Pub and had a cocktail. One cocktail soon became several and the night ended with Jo and I following Scott down the street singing The Cruel Sea's ' The Honeymoon Is Over.' And sadly, it was :( I said goodbye to the honeymooners and began my journey to Beijing.




About nadi-boots

Rotto- just so I don't forget what I'm coming home to ;)

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.