Existing Member?

Miss Bootsie On Tour I haven't seen it all ... but I'm giving it my best shot :)

Borneo: The Land Beneath The Wind… And The Waves

MALAYSIA | Saturday, 4 February 2012 | Views [508]

It’s hard to believe two months has passed since I was in Borneo, and it seems even crazier now that I have relocated to live and teach in Exmouth.

After my whirlwind trip to Beijing I flew from Beijing to Hanoi, Hanoi to KL, KL to Sandakan and finally bartered for a taxi to drive me to Sepilok. A few short days and a LOT of travel, a tired and cranky Nadia arrived in Sepilok. My head hit the pillow and I was dead to the world for the next 10 hours.

Sepilok is well known for one thing, Orang-utans. There is a sanctuary there, and very little else. I made my way to the park so I would be there in time for the 11am feeding session. I followed the boardwalk through the jungle until I found the feeding station where you have the best opportunity to spot some Orang-utans. Since it was late November, the height of rainy season, there was no guarantee that I would see many (if any). Fortunately, after the park ranger arrived and laid food on the platform, three adult orang-utans and three babies soon came down to the feeding platform in front of me. For about thirty minutes I was lucky enough to watch as they ate and played among the forest around me. Such an incredible opportunity to watch them in a semi wild environment.  Of course the humidity in the jungle was intense; I was pouring sweat and got out of there as soon as the Orang-utans had dispersed. Side note- there are other (lamer) monkeys that hang around the feeding station hassling tourists and getting very food aggressive.

Next stop was Sandakan, an unimpressive town that boasts some nice nearby islands and a lovely old English tea house up on the hill overlooking town. If I had more time I would have spent a few days chilling out with turtles on the islands, but I was headed to Semporna to get some serious diving done. A half day bus ride and I was there… and it lived up to every word that I had heard about it.

Semporna is a dirty, smelly town that you would not even get of the bus to bother looking around. However, it is the gateway to Sipidan and some of the greatest dive sites in South East Asia. And the bar at Scuba Junkies does make an awesome Lasagne! I did my diving with Sipidan Scuba, and I cannot speak highly enough of the team there. With a mixture of local and expat dive instructors, it was a team that knew the dive sites inside out and showed me the very best of an amazing dive area.

My first day was at Sipidan, the one we all go there to see. I saw so many sharks and turtles I lost count. What surprised me was how placid and content the sharks were, they just cruised on past without a care in the world. Every other place I have spotted sharks they disappear almost as soon as you see them. The drop off was amazing, and as I floated along the side of that wall I couldn’t help but freak out a little bit when I thought about how far down that drop actually goes. The coral, the fish, the macro life… it all just blew my mind. As if what’s under the waves wasn’t enough, the island of Sipidan is a truly beautiful place to spend the day lazing on the beach.

Next day we headed to Mantabuan, another beautiful site that is dotted with small islands and sandbars to relax on between dives. Again we saw sharks and turtles, but Mantabuan is really spectacular because of the tiny macro life that thrives within its waters. I was fortunate to have a local diver as my guide that day, and he spotted things that I would never have noticed in a million years. Although it’s been two months I can still remember that dive like it was yesterday.

Final day of diving was spent at Sibuan. It seems unfair to say it was the ‘worst’ day of diving because it was still a great, clear dive with heaps of marine life; it just wasn’t as spectacular as the other two days. On the plus side, Rob, the dive master, let us take two of those cool hand held propellers that you see spies using in James Bond films. So much fun!

With a tinge of sadness I boarded the bus to Kota Kinabalu and left Semporna. I know I will return to dive those beautiful waters again, hopefully sooner rather than later. The bus ride to KK was a nine hour experience that I will not be racing back to relive. It was school holidays and the bus was full of children, many of them were unwell. I had a long back and forth text conversation with a friend while on that bus… much of which I did not remember when thinking back. It was one of those trips where time seems to stand still.

Once I arrived in KK I checked into a swanky hotel that I had arranged on the internet. I won’t lie, I delighted in luxuriating for a few days. KK has some great food, some great shopping and some beautiful little islands just a short boat trip away. I took a day to go over to Sapi Island and enjoy some snorkelling and sunbathing, which I highly recommend if you are ever in KK.  I also arranged with the desk clerk at my hotel to drive me to Lok Kwai Zoo on his day off, a bargain for me and some extra money for him. My last day in KK was spent white water rafting with a Chinese family. Words cannot express how amusing that day was. A terrified mother who screamed every time the boat nudged a rock, a teenage daughter who screeched with laughed every time she got wet, a teenage son who wasn’t paddling hard enough if you ask me, and a father who was trying to manage all of the above.

And then it was time to fly back to KL and on to Perth. I was pretty impressed with my sneaky stealth moves, managing to surprise my family and friends with my arrival home. Mez and Adelina were waiting to pick me up and whisk me home to surprise Mummy Boots and The Dad Person. That day feels like it was a million years ago. In the weeks that followed I drank too much, welcomed a new niece,  ate too much at Christmas, hit the beach a lot, travelled to Brisbane and accepted a job offer at Exmouth District High.

For those of you who read all of these posts and shared my trip with me, thank you J I hope you had even one tenth as much fun reading these as I did creating them xox luv Nads

About nadi-boots

Rotto- just so I don't forget what I'm coming home to ;)

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Malaysia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.