Existing Member?

My Year of Yego!! We live in a world full of amazing people and beautiful, awe-inspiring places. There is no end to the adventures we can have if only we say "YES"!!

Twas the Night Before Take Off...

USA | Wednesday, 13 February 2013 | Views [242] | Comments [1]

I cannot believe it's really happening! I leave tomorrow for Africa!!! What am I feeling? Pure excitement and adrenaline! Some might think a woman traveling alone to Africa should be scared or anxious. I feel none of that.  Although I do have a healthy respect for the many differences in the cultures I will face, I am fearless and refuse to worry about what “might” or “could” happen.  Instead I am focused on the adventures that lie ahead and I barely can contain myself on the eve of my departure!!

I fly from Tampa to Detroit to Amsterdam to Kilimanjaro, Tanzania.  In total from the time I leave my house until I land in Africa will be 28 hours. Yikes! Sure could use some of those sleeping aids and muscle relaxers for my flights, Nurse Frohlich! :)

The first 13 days of my adventure I will not have access to phone or internet.  **I may have mentioned this a time or two but I will be climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro!!!  If all goes well, I will summit the morning of February 25th!

I will take lots of photos and videos and also be journaling so I can post date some blog entries and create a photo album to share as soon as I get a chance. 

After the climb, I will be going on a short 3 day safari. I am hoping to catch the wildebeest migration as well as the Big 5: buffalo, elephant, lion, leopard and rhino.  Although I am excited to see any and all wildlife, as a cat lover, I am obsessed with seeing as many large cats as possible! Once again, I am hoping to have loads of photos to share!!

Following the safari, I will be volunteering at the Amani Children’s Home. I cannot wait to meet the children and I am sure my life will be enriched and changed forever just by spending time with them.  The former P.E. Teacher in me purchased a parachute (remember playing with one of these in school?) and I am excited to teach the kids to play with it.  It will be part of my donation to the orphanage so hopefully it will provide them with lots of fun long after I leave them!

My month long adventure will end with a few days in Zanzibar where I will scuba dive in the Indian Ocean!  A little rest and relaxation before saddling up for the 30 hour trip home!

Stay tuned, kids …. Hopefully I’ll have some exciting, memorable and knowing myself, humorous stories to tell!

Comments

1

Just checking in -- thinking about you and hoping you are having a MARVELOUS time!

  Sandy Feb 20, 2013 6:49 AM

About my_year_of_yes

More fun with the Sphinx!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.