Existing Member?

Mutts On Bikes

Tuna.

ARGENTINA | Wednesday, 31 December 2008 | Views [560] | Comments [4]

While Argentinians seem to trust four young, dirty strangers just fine, they apparently are quite wary of oneanother - hence in each town we receive stern warnings: "be careful in the next town. People steal things. Take care of your bicycles." without fail, the people in the next town are as accommodating and wonderful as the last. We will keep this a secret from other, less calculating travelers, precious.

Fire stations have become our default free lodging in smaller (and sometimes larger towns), which has afforded us a peek into the lives and minds of smalltown argentine firefighters. their ability to conversate with/humor us varies from town to town, though you can bet your spandex they'll offer you a bathroom, a shower, hot water and if you´re lucky, faturas (delicious doughnutty things covered in sugar. A jet pack for the morning bicyclist.)


That being said, we now reside in Mendoza with a 50-something gentleman named Ricardo. After meandering the neighborhood on our bicycles, past a delapidated hospital and bus station and after numerous blank stares to our questions for directions, we landed on OASIS ROBERTO, aka his amazing, small, perfect home, which is as much indoors as outdoors, as much potted plant as wall, so effortlessly color coordinated with pink courtyard walls and blue tiled accents that martha stewart would throw in the towel. This spanish literature professor just so happened to have a several course vegetarian meal prepared for us when we arrived, and introduced us to the lovely combination of boxed wine and mineral water.


That´s right folks, we are a snail trail away from Chile. There was much discussion (spanish, broken spanish, enclish, spangligh, etc) about taking on the andes, but international traffic, lack of shoulder and time constraints considered, we will be bussing over the andes. That is, if we can miss the CF that is argentine new years vacations, which supposedly pack busses to capacity.

The big city has afforded us long-awaited luxuries like plug adapters, bird and tree books and a post office (that's open).

Birds positively identified so far despite being on a moving bicycle and being thereby confined to the road:

Neotropic cormorant

bare-faced ibis

swallowtailed kite

chimango caracara

southern-crested caracara

southamerican stilt

quira cuckoo

fork-tailed flycatcher

vermillion flycatcher

monk parakeet

brown-hooded gull

southern lapwing

and an outrageous amount of raptors and small birds which will probably never be identified.

Comments

1

Love to read! More pix of Kate, please! We miss you! Prospero Ano Nuevo! You'll miss eating cheese with us tonight as we're having fondue...Oh, that's right..The Vegan Thing--I keep forgetting! Love you so much! So happy you're meeting (and biking with) nice peeps! Hasta en Marzo! ---YWSM---

  YWSM Jan 1, 2009 10:43 AM

2

Ladies we in the snow country are very impressed with your travels. Love from the old folks.

  Ev Coulter Jan 1, 2009 11:27 AM

3

Yipee! I'm so enamored of the journey...it has all the pizzazz of a travel novel flying off the backseat of a bicycle and into a small dusty, stream and then sat on with a sweaty, sequined behind. I'm totally into the pics, writing and reminders of my South American home...

  sarah Harden Jan 3, 2009 8:24 AM

4

Love you, miss you. Awesome stories. XOXO Cat and Meg!

  Aimee Jan 3, 2009 4:35 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.