Existing Member?

Musical and other adventures

We'd 3 July - trip to Malmö, Sweden

SWEDEN | Thursday, 4 July 2013 | Views [279]

 

Today we set off on the train for. Malmö. We crossed the famous Øresund bridge, which runs nearly 8 km from the Swedish coast to the artificial island of Peberholm which lies in the middle of the strait. The remainder of the link is by a 4km tunnel from Peberholm to The Danish island of Amager. The bridge is the longest combined road and rail bridge in Europe.  
 
On the way there, it occurred to me that we didn't have any Swedish Kroners so we thought we would exchange some Danish Kroners for Swedish Kroners when we got there.  Before we could do this, we had to get an idea of the prices we would have to pay for lunch and tea/coffee etc. We did a spot check in food outlets at the railway station and went off to the money exchange to get some Swedish Kroners. By the end of the afternoon we were a little worried that we would be a few Kroners short, to enable us to buy a drink before we caught he train back. As it turned out, we were able to buy a drink and only had 4 Kroners left! Not bad estimation, we thought! 
 
We wandered around and saw several interesting sights. These included the Turning Torso, which is a very weird looking residential building which has been constructed to look twisted. We saw the Lillia Torg, which is a charming square which was constructed in 1592 and the buildings are just delightful. The whole city centre is pedestrian only, and features many very old buildings. We walked past the Malmöhus castle which is a fortress dating back to 1434 but was demolished in the early 15th century and rebuilt in the 1530s by King Christian III of Denmark. The castle was also used as a prison for 5 years.  We thought is was a rather an odd looking building that looks more like a warehouse with 2 turrets at either end, and a moat around it. We didn't go inside because we didn't have enough time (or money!)
 
We made our way back to Copenhagen on the train and are now relaxing in the apartment for the evening.

About musicaladventures


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Sweden

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.