Existing Member?

mudskippers adventures Apollo Motorhome road trip in NZ North Island. I designed this road trip specific to my 15 y.o son and 46 y.o husband which involved a lot of motorsport fun and a taste of New Zealand culture, history and landscapes.

Day 4 - Wairakei Terraces - Taupo Region

NEW ZEALAND | Monday, 9 April 2012 | Views [933]

Day 4 - Wednesday 2nd November, 2011

After exploring the Turangi area we headed back to the van for a small rest and for preparation to be picked up at 5pm at the Holiday Park by the free bus service provided by Wairakei Terraces.

Wairakei Terraces is a maori village which is working hard to regain the natural silica pools that had been destroyed by the implementation of thermal hydro stations in the area some 30 years ago. Wairakei Terraces offers a health spa experience and also an cultural maori show that includes an traditional maroi greeting, a tour of the silica pools and a slice of maroi viallge life. As the sun sets, you are then lead to a small hall where you dine on a maori hangi dinner and then further entertain with maori dance and songs. please do not think you will be involved in the Hangi, this is done in the background. The food however is most succulent.

The video is a small taste of the show towards the end of the experience, I do have video of the greeting which is very special, and for that reason alone, I decided not to upload onto youtube as I think that part should be saved for those who wish to visit Wairakei Terraces for themselves.

To learn more about Wairakei Terraces - visit the link here - http://www.wairakeiterraces.co.nz/

 
 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.