Existing Member?

mudskippers adventures Apollo Motorhome road trip in NZ North Island. I designed this road trip specific to my 15 y.o son and 46 y.o husband which involved a lot of motorsport fun and a taste of New Zealand culture, history and landscapes.

Day 4 - Turangi - Tongariro National Trout Centre

NEW ZEALAND | Monday, 9 April 2012 | Views [832]

Wednesday 2nd November, 2011

The weather did its worst overnight and even though the clouds lingered, the day remained dry. Today we headed over to Turangi to visit the Tongariro National Trout Centre.

Situated beside the famous Tongariro River, you can see and feed wild Trout in their natural environment. One cannot purchase trout fillets in the region, nor at this Centre. You have to purchase a fishing licence and catch one to eat. The general public can also access Tongariro River (via the National Trout Centre) to try their hand at fishing for wild trout brown or rainbow trout.

For any avid fly fisherman, they will be totally enthralled coming to this centre as their museum holds an amazing history of trout fishing gear. This region has had the presence of royalty such as the the Duke and Duchess of York in 1927 who did a 10 day fishing trip, and in 1926 when the famous author Zane Grey also fished in this region.

If you want to learn more about the National Trout Centre, then see this link- http://www.troutcentre.com/?id=1

 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.