Existing Member?

Scenic Route "One must go without familiars in order to be open to influences, to change". ~ K. Hathaway

Getting ready for the next leg

BRAZIL | Tuesday, 30 January 2007 | Views [552] | Comments [2]

I am still at Iracambi.  I am getting ready to depart on Friday morning for the next leg of my adventure.  I will be traveling to a few colonial towns in Minas Gerais and then off to the capital city to make a collaborative contact.  I am filled with mixed emotions of excitement and sadness.  I love this beautiful place and will be very sad to leave.  I have been on many hikes and have enjoyed the rainforest as much as possible in the rainy season! 

The people of this area are so giving.  They live in a very rugged environment that has plenty of milk and honey to offer, but always hard work as well.  I have learned a little about the problems facing a subsistence farmer in this area, and am saddened by the circumstances in which they are stuck.  Land heritage customs, dropping coffee prices, and a lack of government assistance is causing the depletion of the forests and not the people forced to cut it down.  It is a hard situation with many viable options for improvement.  However, most of these will require a large, organized effort (which is hard to come by in this area).  I am very glad that I have witnessed the issues first hand, and have become more dedicated to helping find a way to improve the environment and the people's lives of rural areas like this one. 

On a lighter note, I have witnessed some amazing bugs here and have a few photos for you to view.  Please check them out and feel sympathy for my plight of sleeping under a mosquito net each night!  I will update in Brasilia with more photos of the colonial towns.  Enjoy, and the best of luck to everyone back home.

-Mags

Tags: culture

Comments

1

Mags,
Miss you so much!!!! I love all of the pics. I'm sure you are having an amazing time!! You need to come to the national AAG meeting in San Fran in April. We're thinking of staying in a hostel.
Let me know if you wanna consider it!

Oh funny stories I want to discuss, but I'll wait until I'm not in the school computer lab. : )

Red

  Red Mary Feb 2, 2007 5:43 AM

2

Mags,
It seems like your having the best time! I was in Knoxville last weekend and I started to call you up until I remembered where you were. I miss you! You're almost back and I'm almost done with school and I can't wait until then! So much going on for me to catch you up on. I'm off to NYC tomorrow morning and I think fondly of all the Sex and the City episodes we watched at the beach. Enjoy!
Luv,
Jen

  Jennifer Stoneking-Stewart Feb 14, 2007 6:57 AM

About msteven6


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Brazil

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.