Existing Member?

Wondering and Wandering I graduated. Now what? Do I live the life I never wanted to live? The one where I move to the city, get a job in a corporate cubicle, and slave away 60 hours a week for $40,000 a year? No thanks. How about 5 years down the road when I settle on a girl I don't truly love, buy the car I don't need, have the marriage that won't last, buy the home I can't afford? No thanks. I want to see things, I want to experience life in every way. This is the only life I've got, I might as well make the most of it and do something I won't foget. So here I am, travelling the world one step at a time. Where I'm going is yet to be decided, how long I'm there is up in the air, but one thing's for sure. Whatever I do, where ever I go, I'm going to be living. You can count on that.

10 years might be ambitious

GERMANY | Monday, 21 May 2007 | Views [980] | Comments [7]

Dont worry, I'm not coming home yet. It looks like Nepal wont be working out for me, just too expensive. Hopefully Herr Colby can come to Europe. Berlin is amazing. Im really blown away by the dynamics of this city. Its not rushed, forests, lakes, relaxed atmosphere, only bad point is that i dont speak german that well...yet. Im learning more everyday. Got a little homesick today. Thought about coming home so that I could get a real job like teaching probably so that I could have summers free to travel. Not sure about it yet. I do know that im cutting it down from 10 years to, at this point in time, 1. Europe on the 10 year plan? Well, plans change right? Ive got to be logical and think about my future at some time. I would like to live day by day but its kinda hard. Just thought Ive give you guys an update. The family is awesome, I mean really really awesome. The boy, Florian, gives me a hug evernight before he goes to bed and last night told me he was glad I was here. Thats a nice feeling. I have to get up early tomorrow to ride the subway with him to his school but before I leave, let me tell you about my day real quick. Got up, had breakfast, and Flo and I walked to the subway. They bought mea pass worth 70 Euros so I can ride it as often as I want. When we got to Flos school, called Frei Schule, I was amazed. You couldnt even call it controlled chaos. Its definately a hippy school. Kids runnin around, screamin, writing on walls. I mean really, I played hold em with Flo and 4 of his friends before I left today. The kids schedule times to meet with the teachers, learn when they want, play soccer, poker, burn paper, dig ditches, fead the ponies, bake their own bread. Its awesome. I wish I went to a school like that. Im really happy here. Life is good.

Tags: People

Comments

1

"Life is good" is a fabulous phrase to hear. Maybe you can teach at their school. Do you think they have a hold 'em class?

The good think about not having a plan is not having a plan - 1 year, 10 years, who knows?

Hugs, happy, and hold 'em - life IS good.

XOXOXOXXOOXXO,
Mom

  Diana May 22, 2007 11:31 AM

2

Glad to hear it's going so well. It's important to be logical and think of the future. Teaching is great. Summers are are too. But they are fastly becoming a work time with professional meetings that are required.
You can schedule around those and get long stretches to travel, which you would defintely put to good use. And, hey it would also pay you, not as much as that cramped cubicle job you so long for, but the summer's are the perk.
What is your day like schedule-wise?
Love you,
MePAWU,
DAD

  Dad May 22, 2007 1:42 PM

3

You want to talk teaching? Call me.

I am spending the morning getting caught up on your adventures, Alex. My goodness -- "I have always depended on the kindness of strangers." I feel like I need to send Marion some brownies or something for taking such good care of you.

Flo? How cute is that? Was that already the child's nickname or was it bestowed by Sir Alex?

Talk to me about beer. Is it totally fabulous? I have become a decided snob about it, and I am not well-versed in the German genre. I know they are famous for it. Tell me why.

Congrats on your birthday turning in a foreign land. I turned 47 this year in Nagatsugawa, Japan. Campai! It's kinda weird, isn't it?

Much love to you and good karma too,
Deb

  dramachacha May 23, 2007 12:15 AM

4

Ah Grandson, isn't life grand? Here you are in Berlin and loving it. I am so happy for you!!!
Each morning I can't wait to see if you have posted another entry. I am one of many traveling with you in
our dreams.
I am still in Ontario, going home Saturday. I plan to stay there for a bit. Ok a short bit, I am going to DC on the 13th. I like to travel as well you see.
I love you Alex and am so proud of you.
GM

  Grandmother May 23, 2007 1:28 AM

5

Ohh, Berlin sounds fantastic. I would have LOVED to go to school in Europe. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure that plenty of kids there have a hard time maybe getting into that groove of learning, but it sounds like a wonderful idea. Don't put limits on yourself, as much as many of us would love to greet you home again, I (as I'm sure many others) adore reading your blog and learning with you about the many adventures there are in life. I'm feeling a little "inspirational card"-y. Plans, at your age, pffsh. At this rate, I'll have no one to greet me in Prague in 2008. Bumm-er. Enjoy Berlin, and all of her wonderful attractions.
Love and best wishes,
Jess

  Jessica May 23, 2007 6:40 AM

6

I agree with Jessica. No limits. Teaching sucks I hate kids. Be a pirate, a carney folk, a big game hunter, a ethnomusicologist, a goat farmer, a bum, a burden on society. Stay away, far away from kids - they are satan. P.S. I haven't even started the summer yet.....

Much Love

Doug

  Doug May 23, 2007 11:18 AM

7

What up homie? Sounds like Berlin is good times. Hold em with 12 yr. old German kids... that's... different? Did you win? I'm with Doug, kids ARE the devil, except for 12 year old, hold em playin, German kids. Have fun!

Dee

  Dee May 23, 2007 11:44 AM

About mradventure


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Germany

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.