Existing Member?

Wondering and Wandering I graduated. Now what? Do I live the life I never wanted to live? The one where I move to the city, get a job in a corporate cubicle, and slave away 60 hours a week for $40,000 a year? No thanks. How about 5 years down the road when I settle on a girl I don't truly love, buy the car I don't need, have the marriage that won't last, buy the home I can't afford? No thanks. I want to see things, I want to experience life in every way. This is the only life I've got, I might as well make the most of it and do something I won't foget. So here I am, travelling the world one step at a time. Where I'm going is yet to be decided, how long I'm there is up in the air, but one thing's for sure. Whatever I do, where ever I go, I'm going to be living. You can count on that.

Ohh boy, things have changed

UNITED KINGDOM | Thursday, 12 April 2007 | Views [979] | Comments [11]

Here's the deal folks, just to give you a quick update. I've been sacked. For reasons unknown to me the family I was with decided to let me go with an hours notice, dirty laundry, fresh flowers in my room, and one night in a B&B. They paid me for next week and then left me for the carrion birds to pick clean on the side of the road. Ok, it wasn't that bad but I sure didn't get an explanation. All I got was "our situation has changed". Can someone please explain to me what the hell that is supposed to mean. I didn't even get to say goodbye to the kids for cryin out loud. I was very upset and hurt by this lack of respect and understanding. I was supposed to be there until September when I would have had enough funds to make my way to Nepal and India. Thankfully, my mom and grandmother are on their way here (they were coming before I got sacked) and I will be able to decide the next logical course of action then. At the moment, I am staying with Marion Harvey. I met Marion at the Herefordshire Courtyard where I saw Running With Scissors. For some reason (kharma, fate, God, whatever) we exchanged numbers after a wonderful chat, and after I had invited her for tea. I called her after my first night in the hotel I was staying in and explained my situation. She gratefully took me in and is giving me room and board in exchange for working in her garden and doing odd jobs around the house. I am staying with her til Tuesday and then moving to a new place with a friend of hers until I leave for Ireland to meet up with my mom and Grandmother. I was in dire straights for a while but thanks to my mom and this wonderful lady I am back on my feet and feeling a bit more sure of myself. Not sure where this is going to lead but as soon as I know more, I will let you know. Thanks for stickin with me who ever it is that's paying attention.

Love,

Alex

Tags: Adventures

Comments

1

It has been a tough couple of days for you I know. However we know that you are ALWAYS looked after by the man upstairs. Prayers for your safety are always offered up for by me and a host of others.Marion is undoubtedly one of the angels sent to help you out. Think about it. I know she has a heart of gold. I look forward to meeting her and thanking her personally for her kindness. Just seeing your post makes me feel better.
I love you, just know that cushion of prayer is always with you
GM

  Grandmother Apr 13, 2007 6:24 AM

2

Hey Gardener Boy,
I am so glad that you are set for the next few weeks. Please tell Ms. Marion thank you from all of us. Enjoy playing in the dirt. Can't wait to see photos of the 2 of you and the grounds.
XOXOXO,
Mom

  Diana Apr 13, 2007 7:50 AM

3

It's wonderful to hear that you are not being picked by carrion birds, I had my fears. I'm sure some wonderful thing will come along to set you on a new adventure. Don't assume that anything's planned for you I guess, something I'm trying to grasp myself. I'm absolutely green with jealousy that your Mother and Grandmother get a trip to Ireland, AND to see you. :) I hope you have an absolutely fabulous visit with them, I know it will be a wonderful relief to see and hug and share.
Thinking of you,
Jessica

  Jessica Apr 13, 2007 9:04 AM

4

It is I who is paying attention. I'm sorry you had a couple of bad days. As usual, you've managed to land on your feet.

I used up all my inspirational quotes 10 years ago, but I know a lot of song lyrics if that helps? Probably not.

I'll just say I'm proud of you & I'm looking forward to reading about your next adventure. And Lord knows you'll find one.

Love, Jackie

  Jackie Apr 13, 2007 2:28 PM

5

that's life, my man. one day you wake up thinkin' you're cruising along and then later that day, WHAM!, like a cast iron skillet upside your melon. but......it can lead to good things. doug filled me in on the details. and yes, does suck about not getting to say goodbye to the kids. i think they'll regret that quite a bit (lisa agrees). but at least you got to smell some bum-fingers, huh? seriously, sorry that happened - that was pretty lousy.

as your traveling house to house remember your principles - helping out does not mean "back rubs" (unless you really need the money).

finally saw 300. it was great, made me want to go home and do crunches. looked up all the historical facts about the battle to get the real story. interesting.

stay strong - keep growin' the fro. It was good to talk to you on the phone the other day. sorry it was a little rushed.

since jackie is out of song quotes, here's an inspirational song quote for ya:

shot through the heart and you're to blame
you give love a bad name - bad name.

i know, i know, you don't have to say it............

  rob Apr 14, 2007 1:22 AM

6

That sucks donkey balls man... Do you still have your tent and everything? So I guess you won't need that computer A/V stuff you asked me to send over with your mom huh? At least you got to settle down for a little while and save some money hopefully.

Anyways, I just got done talking to Cingular b/c when I added int roming to my phone last month for my trip to Canada they bumped my int calling plan off... Why I don't know. But those 45 minutes I talked to you for last month added up to about $90. Your an expensive bitch to keep around you know. Well, not that expensive. Actually, when I think about it your more like a cheap whore. At 19 cents a minute you came out to around $8.50. Plus a little extra comp'd off for my troubles with cingular. Anyways hope your doing well and staying dry. Keep on truckin'. Give me a call. Talk to you soon.
Ryan
P.S. iPhone BITCH!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHO8l-Bd1O4 (watch it an you'll get it.)

  Ryan Apr 14, 2007 7:27 AM

7

Alex, I'm so sorry. I will tell you that sometimes it really does mean "our situation has changed" and has nothing whatsoever to do with you. Enjoy your Mom and Grandmom...their love for you is one thing that will never ever change!
Joyce

  joyce Apr 14, 2007 8:39 PM

8

Well Alex, this news is a bummer but I know you'll get through this. It just means you have to get back to traveling, which we all know you love doing.
Moving up in the world, now up to $.19/min... Europe must have given you some insight to increase your rate...
Well I hope everything works out man, keep us updated. Safe travels.
Brian


  Brian Apr 15, 2007 12:51 AM

9

thats crappy of them.. well, im glad things worked out even though thats some shady crap to pull, especially when youve been with them for a while now.. oh well.. some people, you think you know them then, whammy.. youre sent for a loop.. keep truckin bud!

  JC Apr 17, 2007 6:15 AM

10

I FIGURED IT OUT....they finally realized that you are much prettier than them....and that it was hurting their self esteems. :D

Miss you sweetheart...

<3Aimee

P.S. Early June I may be in Scotland/London...any chance of meeting up?

  Aimee Apr 20, 2007 9:51 AM

11

Maybe they were on the lamb! Okay, so maybe I don't really know what that means...but yeah! It could be some giant secret that they weren't allowed to tell you for legal reasons. Or, it could just be that they're asshats. But I'm really glad things worked out for you. It sounds like you really are supposed to be there right now, doing your thing. No matter how much you are severely missed here. Mavs playoffs are happening. I feel like this is something you should be around for. Hope you're well!

  Meagan Apr 28, 2007 5:58 AM

About mradventure


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.